nature has been raped again

Also, some background on this piece is that the native americans who own the land are poor and are struggling to live. They are building this with some grants and outside funds to help give them a tourism boost that will go directly to them.

Something to think about, at least.

strange enough, I saw interviews with natives who were protesting against this ....

I'd like to read it if you do find it, ashford. Obviously there are those who are driven by the chance for income and those who will remain staunchly against anything that changes the landscape. This isn't a bridge of necessity to get to the watering hole.

If it's glass-enclosed, that takes care of one aspect of the additional litter. Apparently the planners have as much faith in humanity as I do in that regard. :razz: I still say bringing more people around, the need for more parking lots, the increased traffic - gives me a queasy feeling about its negative impact on the area.

About 1,400 members of the Hualapai tribe live on the reservation in Peach Springs, a small community 66 miles from the canyon rim that was bypassed in 1979 by the building of Interstate 40, a major east-west thoroughfare in Arizona. The few businesses that existed soon closed and since then, unemployment has hovered between 50 percent and 70 percent, depending on the season. About half the residents have incomes below the federal poverty line.

Do I like the sky bridge? No. Do I understand the reason behind it? Yes. This is the tribes attempt to better themselves. I think it's easy to sit back in our nice little houses, send our kids to really nice schools, go to our good paying jobs, and forget about people who live on these hell holes of reservations. Maybe if our outcry was directed at their living conditions and poverty this would have not come about.

If you read the history of the sky bridge, it was not the natives who proposed it. The idea came from a Las Vegas promoter who could not build there himself because he was not a tribal member.

Does it suck? Big time!

I'm sure it's how the natives felt when we built hotels, paved roads, places to eat, started bus tours, helicopter flights, and all the other development in the canyon area that has taken it from it's natural state.

Most reactions

Back