Nature's Frame

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
IMG_2871-01.jpg

Great shot, I agree with the others, good eye.

well seen John, very well indeed! is that a fork in a tree? i love your wide open world...one day maybe i'll get there.

Wow, great shot. I love the texture of the wood. I could see this in B&W as well. It's just a bit dark for me, on my monitor at least.

Thank you everyone.

Matt, I had exposed for the clouds. Was wondering if it was too dark, but I didn't want to wash the blue sky, will try a little PS work on it. Thanks for letting me know.

JonMikal, two trees tried to grow on the same location, looks to me as if a very slow battle took place to which both lost, as the trees are slowly toppling over. I hope you can get up this way some day, it is so peacefull and lots of space to get away for awhile.

The sky is a lovely blue and the clouds stand out and our blown out either. Nice job on that... but I'm going to disagree with the others though (and this is only my opinion). While the frame effect of the trees do a great job, the real picture here is the trees themselves, not the sky behind. A frame should never (well, almost never) compete or over shadow with what it frames. And it does that here.

I think these trees deserve the whole image to themselves. They have a lot of character and detail in their bark. And with a bit of side lighting and sharper focus (you are a bit out of focus here) I think the trees would be an outstanding picture of their own... maybe composed so there was a bit of blue sky and clouds to the right or left as a backdrop. But together like this, the sum of the two areas subtract rather than add to each other. This is only my opinion and I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. If not, I've learned to live with being ignored. :D

Mike

Hey thanks Mike I understand what your saying, yourself or anyone else can comment on my photo's as they see fit, good or bad. I really appreaciate constructive critisism. I think the picture is worth further work on. I will give what you had recomended a try. I do like the tree as a frame but next time I am in the area I will try using a larger aperature and focus on the tree. My settings where 21mm, f22, 1/15th /sec with a polorizing filter. My focus point should have been the furthest branch from the tree, but who knows with automatic focus.

I looks almost like a painting to me too. I love the framing, especially the little shadow that falls across to the other limb. I'd be proud to hang that one on my wall.

hey john,
gotta say, think this is just one of the coolest pics i have seen...the name is perfect...

as far as the framing idea ...the whole reason this is an unique shot, is how you used the tree for the frame...i wouldnt change a thing...that is what makes this pic so cool...(imo...ofcourse...) i would love to see this tree as a whole..think it would be a cool shot too....alot of chracter there... good job!

Thanks everyone for confirming my original intent.

aprilraven said:
hey john,
gotta say, think this is just one of the coolest pics i have seen...the name is perfect...

as far as the framing idea ...the whole reason this is an unique shot, is how you used the tree for the frame...i wouldnt change a thing...that is what makes this pic so cool...(imo...ofcourse...) i would love to see this tree as a whole..think it would be a cool shot too....alot of chracter there... good job!

April raven if the light is right I will go back and see if I can get a more direct view of the bottom of the tree and tree as a whole

Thanks for looking.

Most reactions

Back