ND filters

GDHLEWIS

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hiya all,

Am in the market for a ND filter set, I do have a 3 piece Tiffen set that I bought some time ago to play around with but they have been through the wars and back and have become relatively scratched, so it is time to replace them.

I have looked around on the tinterweb for various different reviews and top tens and every single one of them comes back with completely different results (surprise surprise).
What is every ones filter of choice and why? Budget wise I dont really want to go beyond the 200USD mark but do want a few different ranges including a 10 stopper as I have enjoyed my long exposure stuff recently (even the wife is enjoying it...this is a worry).

Any advice or comments on your preferences is desperately needed as I have become bored with searching the tinterweb now.

Thanks

One of the best way to ND filter is with a filter system. The system is comprised of a holder, which fits over the camera lens and various filters which slip into the holder. This type of system works best with a tripod. Lee Filters are considered the best in this category. They are also one of the more expensive filter system.

What size of lens(es) is this for, as with recommendations the $$$ per filter can vary greatly between a 55, a 77 or 92mm etc filters. Essentially find a good brand, buy the largest you need and get step up rings for the other lenses.

The lens size will be 58 & 77mm if I recall correctly (too lazy to find my camera bag). Ill probably just go with the LEE system as I like the idea of having a decent set as I have seen some huge softening with my existing tiffen ones. Lee big and small stopper will be fine for the time being, birthday is in July so the wife and bubs can get me a polariser and ndgrads for that.
Thanks for the help all

url.jpg

... Ill probably just go with the LEE system ... Lee big and small stopper will be fine ...

Just thought I'd point out that the above and below statements conflict quite a bit. But getting the smaller filters and a third party kit it just might fit in budget.

But if someone else is buying ...

... Budget wise I dont really want to go beyond the 200USD mark ...

You can just get stepup-rings so lenses with smaller filter threads can use larger filters.

Otherwise I havent used filters in ages ... IIRC I have B+W ND filters for my D5100 at home, though.

Ended up with the Formatt-Hightech's system being ordered. got the Firecrest 10stopper and circular polarizer on it's way from the states.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back