Draken

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.earthscape.110mb.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

Brought a Cokin G2 ND Grad today heres the best pic i got out of the 15 minutes i used it lol was FREEZING!

SecretSpot.jpg

hope you like :wink:

Hi
WOW! That picture looks great to me. You can see the difference while using ND Grad for landscapes. Sky looks just right.
What was your camera settings? I'm asking because I like this blurry water.
Great job.

Beautiful shot.. yes, I'm curious how that affect is done with the water looking so smooth

Very nice - you now own one of the two most essential tools for landscape photography; don't forget to level your horizons! ;)

cheers guys ! :) i also used an ND8 filter screwed in first and then my Cokin G2 was around 0.6" so caught some motion in the waves which is what i wanted

thanks for your thoughts :p

The water effect is achieve through the use of longer than normal shutter speeds. In Draken's case he used a 1/2 second shutter speed. This is an image of a tidal area I shot in Greece, using a 3 second exposure (and a total of eight or ten stops of ND): http://www.rthtg.net/john/crete/Tidal_pool_8x10 (Large).jpg

also if anyone can offer me any tips on how to properly use my new ND Grad and how to reduce noticeably of the line that would be awesome ! :p

The best way to do this is set it so that the transition in the filter is just masked by a line in the picture. In this case, bring the filter down so that the transition was masked by the mountains in the background.

Great work with the ND now I think you should crop some off of the top and left and your horizon is leaning and to close to the center. It is almost never good to have a tilted shot.

what is ND?
Neutral Density; a filter which has a coating that will block light, but is optically transparent and has no affect on the colours of the image. Used to achieve a more even exposure in a secene where you have a bright area and a dark area (eg bright sun, dark mountains).

also if anyone can offer me any tips on how to properly use my new ND Grad and how to reduce noticeably of the line that would be awesome ! :p

To align the transition line with another line in the frame (such as the horizon) it might be useful to set a small aperture on your lens and use the depth of field preview. I find that you see the transition between the clear and ND parts of the filter that bit better using this method.

Most reactions

Back