Near Camp

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sunday night after class I decided to head up to the hills and camp rather than road-rage with the Las Vegas to L.A. traffic on the freeway. After restocking on a few supplies and shooting some sunset shots, I drove about 20 miles out of town to a site I had seen earlier that day. After considering a few locations on the side of a hill I made me a little campfire in the moonless night. A scrawny coyote seemed to agonize in the brush in the canyon below. He howled a bit, and was joined by another after about an hour. Far off in the distance a third could be heard. I had about enough of this and made sure all my food was wrapped up tight. I let my campfire go to coals and covered it with rocks and crawled into the back of my truck and fell fast asleep. Usually when I'm in the desert and spend the night, I sleep well and dream of being in the desert. It's like not sleeping, but things are a little crazier, and when I get up I feel pretty good. I got up a little before sunrise and made myself some coffee. I got the camera ready before I finished my cup of instant slop and setup near the front of the truck. I packed up and made sure everything was ready to go and began my morning's shooting. Here's the first shot of the day. I'm leaning back against the front of my truck shooting it.

791-5x7-ruins-1994-96-v2.jpg

I'm glad I drove up in the dark. I never would have camped next to something like this if I had seen it in the daylight.

Good shot, as usual. Why are ruins so intriguing?

heh heh nice photo of a crappy campsite....at least you slept well eh.

Yep- it's so wierd. Like I just lay there and dream about running around the desert like I'm crazy ;)

It's a nice image, but with that lightning you should have zoomed in on the actual destroyed room. I think that would have made a really good image.

A lot of the junk in there was modern crap like beer cans and plastic. I'm more interested in keeping a period look to my shots when I can. There is a lower level not seen here. I got in a little closer to clear out a blue milk box and some plastic bottles, but this structure was so unstable I figured getting smashed by a bunch of old lumber would have been a lousy way to start the day.

Good shot, as usual. Why are ruins so intriguing?

Thanks. I'd like to say that I imagine people milling about and doing what they did, but when I try that I think I'd rather have worked in the head office downtown or something. For me though, I believe it's the disorder and architectural anarchy.

Most reactions

Back