Near Objects always being out of focus!!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by T1000, Jun 8, 2004.

1. T1000

T1000 TPF Noob!

Hi ALL!!

I am a newbie to photography, so I'm here to learn from u experts out there!!

I am trying hard to get a clear and nice shot of my Gundam Model kit. But whatever i do, I cant get the focus right. I am trying to do like a portrait shot of the whole Gundam Body and was like placing the model only several centimeters away from the lens. But no matter where I focus to, the object nearer to the lens always gets blurred. Can anyone drop me some hints as to how to take Model kits up close without blur images??

:cry:

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

hi t!

depending on your camera's lens, you might not be able to focus that close. you should try one of two things...either a lens that has some type of macro feature, or a set of close up filters!!

matt

3. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

Or if your shooting digital get as close as you can with it focused. Then crop the picture.

4. Rainman

Rainman TPF Noob!

If you are using a fairly simple point and shoot (can't change lenses) type camera your minimum focusing distance is probably 3-4 feet. Anything closer will always be out of focus. If it is a digital you may have what is called "macro" mode. On my little digital point and shoot the macro focusing range is 4-20 inches. Tell us about your camera, and we may be able to suggest some solutions.
    Regards,
    Raymond

5. paul rond

paul rond TPF Noob!

Sounds like you need to learn how to control your "depth of field" otherwise know as "hyperfocal distance" which will take you into new terratory and give you much more control over your images.

There is a ton of info on the net. I sugest doing a Google search for "hyperfocal distance" and "depth of field" before hearing it explained otherwise you will have no idea what it's all about. You can render amazingly great images once you learn how to control this beast. This is how Ansel Adams and other famous photographers make their images so sharp form here to infinity (although they are using large format cameras with greater DOF controls like tilts and swings to extend their range).

Talk to you again after you've done your reading?

6. T1000

T1000 TPF Noob!

you guys are really helpful!! :D

I am using a Sony DFS-P100 digital camera. This camera have some form of auto focus (multi point) and also macro focus. This is the problem. Using Macro mode, I cant seems to get the whole model into focus. If I focus on its body, its body and anything behind gets clear but anything in front get blurred.

Perhaps I should try getting into a longer focus and then crop the picture. :lol:

7. T1000

T1000 TPF Noob!

I shall read as instructed!! :)

8. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    how far do you have your camera zoomed in? If its zoomed in as far as it can go while taking the picture, try taking the shot while zooming out. That may (or may not, i don't know if its enough of a difference) help increase the area that is in focus. Also does the camera have manual overrides? If not try shooting the picture in landscape mode.

9. ceno2000

ceno2000 I AM PUNK ROCK!!

try taking it on landscape mode and then crop

10. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

or just do what i do and take out of focus pictures constantly!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

md

11. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Besides your lens' minimum focusing distance, with a camera to subject distance of "several centimeters" your DOF is going to be tiny (like a couple of millimeters) even when you stop down to f/16 or f/22. You would have much better luck standing back and zooming in. Also, if you are running your camera on auto-modes, try picking "landscape" if you have that option. This will cause the camera to try and use a smaller aperture, giving you more DOF.