"Neat" Photos

But Hertz wonder if that is where the term 'High Art' really comes from.

It comes from a misunderstanding. A critic overheard me greeting a photographer friend called Arthur and the expression was born.

I like the old distinctions in the Arts.
Commercial Art that was done for money.
High Art that was above such base concerns.
Now, everything is called 'Art' which is another way of saying nothing is.

This is much more simple than you're making it out to be. Black borders around digital files began as a copy of the black borders around traditional prints achieved by filing down the sides of your negative holder. As such, than also be printed with the black border.

Otherwise, the whole border thing is silly if you're talking about it in terms of a print. I mean nobody ever includes digital matting and framing. Or if they do, it looks ridiculous.

i prefer pictures without or with little borders for it takes away from the picture

oy. What's wrong with a simple, black border?

If I understood correctly, the OP was refering to images posted in this forum, not printed.;)

Now, every image posted on line gets a frame. Either one selected by the poster and added with some software... or a simple ligth grey one (in this forum for example). I'm sure some Gestalt theorist would give us some blah blah on how the frame changes our perception of an image.. but I'm no expert on that.

Well, in short :)blushing:) an image for me looks different depending on the frame. Some look better with the neutral grey from the foum, some look better with, for example, a thin black line.

How often does zen enlightment come from an Internet forum?

Yes, the grey can be subconsciously ignored after a while, giving the illusion of an isolated image... IMO some images will benefit from that, some will benefit from a different frame.

Yep whatever the ultimate debate ender rofl and i know you were kidding just as i was. rofl. is two rofl in the same sentence over kill.

Well it's ok to say rofl if you really are rofl'ing, but instead of rofl you can always just put :lmao:!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back