Necessities for a small business?

Mel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I have had my Nikon N65 for almost 4 years now. I love taking pictures but I would like to go a step further. I am thinking about starting my own business. Mostly Senior pictures, children, and family pictures for now, until i feel more comfortable about it. But I don't know what equipment I would need to start out small but have the necessities. Could anyone help me?!

Thanks,
Mel

You've got two choices really - top end digital or medium format. What's your startup budget and projected first-year revenue?

Rob

Well I'm thinking to just stick with 35mm. And my budget is really just the basics (for now). Nice things but not top of the line.... any suggestions?

Nikon F100 then or F5

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-F100-CAme...78255591QQcategoryZ107925QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-F5-Profes...78110149QQcategoryZ107925QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With either the 70-200 f2.8 VR IS lens or a Nikkor f1.8 85mm and a Nikkor f1.4 50mm.

Personally that's what I'd use!

Rob
p.s. I've been doing weddings for the last eight or so years and I've been serious about photography for fifteen years. My avatar picture is in the current theme of being over ten years old!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If that's out of your range, then perhaps an FM3a or F3

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-FM3A-35mm...77367395QQcategoryZ107925QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-F3-Camera...77315550QQcategoryZ107925QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (this one is battered though, avoid it, just an example)

with

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-NIKKOR-10...ryZ48556QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I personally use an F3HP (high eyepoint for glasses wearers) with a range of manual prime lenses. Best bang for your buck and the most unbelievably sharp images with Fuji Reala 100 film. That 105mm f1.8 is an awesome lens and you can pretty much shoot indoors with it at a wedding. I use an FM3a and a FM2n as backup bodies with a Contax T3. These days I tend to hire a 1DS MkII as my primary (if it's important).

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Mel -

I've done photography professionally for over 30 years and have owned commercial buildings with studios... it all depends on how serious you want to be. You can start with your current camera, but don't expect to get the better jobs...you'll end up with subjects that just can't afford a "real" professional. On the other hand, if you invest in the equipment and studio and get the better jobs, they will demand professional results.

All depends on what your current abilities and funds are....but remember, perception is reality - the more professional you appear, the more people will believe you know what you're doing.

good luck

Bob

Wow good for you! that is awesome. those 2 camera sure a big difference in price. So you don't think that my N65 would be good? Not new enough or not enough options? I'm really new at this so if you have patience I would appreciate it. I bought myself a few photography books. Lighting, basics, etc. Is there anything you can help me with... We could talk on email to... or IM.

If you're that new to the art, I would HIGHLY recommend taking some courses before you invest...there's ALOT more to it than pushing a button.

Wow I'm impressed! so what are you doing talking to people like me? lol No i appreciate it! Thank you for your advice. I still have ALOT to learn about it. I feel the more Rob is talking the stupider I am about it! lol I know i have to read more on it! Did you go to school for photography? Do you use Digital or 35mm? I would like to be serious about this cause i really do enjoy talking pictures i'm just sooooo overwhelmed with all the terms. What is your input?

Thanks,
Mel

Mel said:
Wow good for you! that is awesome. those 2 camera sure a big difference in price. So you don't think that my N65 would be good? Not new enough or not enough options? I'm really new at this so if you have patience I would appreciate it. I bought myself a few photography books. Lighting, basics, etc. Is there anything you can help me with... We could talk on email to... or IM.

Actually one body is pretty much the same as another. We rarely push the upper shutter speeds during a normal wedding shot on 50 or 100 ISO film, so it's irrelevant. However, bigger "pro" bodies like the F100 and the F5 and the F6 look better and handle better. They have grips and motor drives which can push the shots out faster. They're not plastic, so they don't break easily.

As Bob quite rightly says, you get what you pay for. If people are paying $3000 for you to do their wedding, then they expect the world's best kit and similar results. However, if you're doing family portraits for the people at church, then use what makes you comfortable.

I've owned an F65 (as it's called here) and it doesn't compare to any of the metal cameras I have listed. However, photographically it is no different. It will not take significantly worse pictures. The metering and AF aren't very good on it - it's slow, but these aren't vital points.

What do you want to do? Leap into commercial photography? Start slow with friends and family? Do studio portraits? Weddings? These are the questions which you need the answers to before you can even think about buying kit.

So, lets start at the beginning... if you want to get into paid photography, you've got to be appropriately equipped. However, equipped for every situation is going to cost say $20,000+ and you wouldn't have a clue how to use it!

If you're looking to get some casual cash from photography, then you won't go far wrong with the F100 or F5. It's a very versatile tool and at the top of the SLR market. If you've already got some Nikon lenses, then they'll work on them as well (bonus!).

Rob

Thank you so much! I know I have a lot to learn. I have talked to our local photographer and he never went to school for it and he does a great job. I have been told by several that i have the "eye" for it! And i know there is ALOT more to it then just pushing the button. I don't know anything about lighting or flashes. But yes i am serious about this and i really would love to learn. If you insist on classes which ones should think about taking?

Take the TPF class!

Read the Newbie Sticky at the top here.

Get a 35mm film SLR (good you already have!). Stick it in Manual mode. Load it with 100 ISO film. Get a 50mm fixed lens.

Get out and take a notebook with you. Take pictures of people. Use low f-numbers, high f-numbers, high speeds, low speeds. Make mistakes. Note everything in your book.

Once you've learnt the relationship between aperture, speed, film sensitivity, focus and vaguely got an idea how to compose a shot.... then you can use something more complicated ;)

It has the advantage of being the quickest way to see your results and learn how to create (and more importantly re-create) effects.

Actually, the camera is unimportant.

However, if you're charging money for your services, they'd better be good!

Rob

A pro camera would be great but if you are on a budget I thing some good glass (lenses) would be a better choice to start. But know how to use what you have as well as knowledge of photography it more important than all.

Thanks! Word I understand! :D Ok I will do that... I feel I have a long ways to go. TPF class? I have a 28-90mm lens and a 100-300mm. Would either of those work? you mentioned a fixed 50mm.

Most reactions

Back