Need a budget wide-angle lens & high-speed lens for Nikon D3100

my budget wide angle is a Tokina 11-16 2.8 and I love it.

That is a 'budget' lens???? It costs over $600!!!! ...
Yes, that is a budget, 3rd party lens.

Good lenses cost considerably more.

$2200 - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

$1640 - Nikon 35mm f/1.4G AF-S FX SWM Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Here is a $4900 portrait lens: Nikon AF-S VR NIKKOR 200mm f/2.0 G AF-S IF-ED Lens 2150 B&H

What about this affordable puppy? Nikon 13mm f/5.6

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

That is a 'budget' lens???? It costs over $600!!!!

It's funny, I had that EXACT same reaction when I first became interested in "serious" photography and now that $2,200 70-200 is at the top of my 'things to save up for' list, just below a $500 tripod setup and $500 SB900 and above the Nikon $900 105mm 2.8 macro but hey, just think of all the back trouble I'll avoid from carrying such a light wallet. :mrgreen:

What about this affordable puppy? Nikon 13mm f/5.6

Here, you can Buy It Now.
Ebay.gif

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

That is a 'budget' lens???? It costs over $600!!!! I have the Nikkor 18-105mm VR and I love love love it. $250 brand new. I also bought a Promaster 28mm 2.8 for $20 on ebay, manual focus only, not as wide angle as some others, but still a great lens

Chances are that the OP already has the 18-55 which comes as a kit with the D3100. In such case going to the 18-105 isn't much of an upgrade in terms of wide angle. I would also recommend the Tokina 11-16 and it it is a budget lens when comparing to high end wide angle zooms.

...just my thoughts,but he asked about a wide-angle,not an ultrawide........perhaps i'm wrong (friggin' surpize) but i thought wide angle was like 24-50,and ultrawide started below 24.Is there an industry standard and how do they relate to DX/FX?

Doesn't have to be Nikon but should be good quality obviously.

I have a 50/1.4D old manual prime lens but it honestly just isn't practical for most situations. There's only so far I can step backwards and the focal length is way too long

Also, I'm looking for a decent wide-angle lens since I'm abroad in Asia right now and there are so many situations where I felt having a wide-angle lens would have helped me out a lot

I am wondering why nobody recommended the 35mm f/1.8 (even it has some CA issues) at $199 as the OP mentioned he wanted a budget but decent wide angle lens and not really an ultra wide angle lens such as the Tokina. The nearest one I can think of is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at around $420.

Perhaps the OP should enlighten everyone with exactly what focal length he would want and as mentioned before a general budget he would be willing to spend so realistic options can be provided. Being a D3100 owner myself, I am assuming his budget is "the cheaper the better" as I would do that myself hence my 35mm recommendation. If he wants better performance then it would be wise to know his budget so that other options may be explored.

Let us not be lens snobs in this forum as really, it's getting nowhere. I know some members can afford the so called better lenses out there but balk not only at the cheaper lenses but also to those who really cannot afford better gear. But again, let us help other out and not argue. Nuff said. And Happy New Year to all! :)

Actually, since the OP has a D3100, I believe that he/she will need the II version in order for the autofocus function to work.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
from what I'm reading he just wants a cheap wide angle. I don't think he's looking for anything super wide. I think his best bet would be an 18-55 kit which can be had for $70 used and $150 new. or the 35 1.4 zrizal mentioned

Most reactions

Back