need a flash

C. Brian Kerr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As most of you know I am fairly new to trying to capture great images. before it was leave it in auto, point and shoot. I am now really learning and getting alot better. I love shooting wildlife, birds especially but working 70 hrs a week limits my time and having a flash would help me expand my horizons.

I can't afford new glass which is what i would like for birding, but since i cant afford it ( justify) i thought starting to learn more about flash photography would be a good logical step in my learning.

I shoot with a Nikon D7100 and it would need to be use the TTL capabilities of the camera as well as be able to be used off camera. I don't think going with the Nikon series is going to give me anything that a less expensive flash will except expense.

Your thoughts on this is highly appriciated.

I always recommend a first-party flash as someone's first speedlight simply because you are guaranteed 100% compatibility whereas units such as Yongnuo and Nissin, while good, might not always be as good. Have you checked your local Craig's List for a used SB700?

I always recommend a first-party flash as someone's first speedlight simply because you are guaranteed 100% compatibility whereas units such as Yongnuo and Nissin, while good, might not always be as good. Have you checked your local Craig's List for a used SB700?

not as of yet, but i will.

88flasher.gif

You said you needed a flash so here you go......:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

On the serious side, i would agree with iron on this. An OEM flash should give you complete compatibility with your camera.

88flasher.gif

You said you needed a flash so here you go......:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

On the serious side, i would agree with iron on this. An OEM flash should give you complete compatibility with your camera.

Been a long day at work. thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

On the lighting side of the post i have heaard good things about the Yongnuo. That was my original thoujght at 1/4 the price i could get some real practice in at a small expense while learning lighting and grow as needed. i would also get a few umbrellas and stands.

I am shooting a nikon d7200 with a nikon sb700 and yougnuo yn568 and I can tell you honestly, that if you are still learning you should stick with the sb700. The yongnuo is a good flash but doesn't have the capabilities of the nikon especially when used off-camera. I know they are a lot more expensive but they are worth it.

I bought the neewer 750 to go with my Nikon. My FIL bought the same flash for his d7100 and the ttl has worked perfectly. It was very inexpensive, and would be a great starting point, I think. There's a great review somewhere on here by @Braineack I believe, comparing it to a Nikon.
Granted, I've never owned a Nikon flash, but I haven't regretted my decision yet, and would definitely recommend it as a starting point!

Edit: here you go!

In Depth Comparison Review Neewer VK750II vs. Nikon SB700 Photography Forum

Last edited:
I know you need one for a Nikon, but I just got a Pixel Mago gn65 on Ebay for only $36.00 new with free shipping. I read some reviews on it, and it founded well worth the money. It will be here midweek if you want to know anything about it. :)

I did some more checking and the Pixel Mago light doesn't make a light for Nikon, they are for Canon only. so sorry. :(

I bought the neewer 750 to go with my Nikon. My FIL bought the same flash for his d7100 and the ttl has worked perfectly. It was very inexpensive, and would be a great starting point, I think. There's a great review somewhere on here by @Braineack I believe, comparing it to a Nikon.
Granted, I've never owned a Nikon flash, but I haven't regretted my decision yet, and would definitely recommend it as a starting point!

Thanks Jazzie, im looking into this for the price might just be the one. would be for off camera use

Thanks Jazzie, im looking into this for the price might just be the one. would be for off camera use

My radio triggers are full manual, but they trigger it just fine off camera. I know that they they sell neewer radio triggers, but I'm not sure if they keep ttl. My FIL bought the set with triggers but I don't know if he's used it yet.

My radio triggers are full manual, but they trigger it just fine off camera. I know that they they sell neewer radio triggers, but I'm not sure if they keep ttl. My FIL bought the set with triggers but I don't know if he's used it yet.

So far I like what I am reading about this flash. most of what i will be doing is off camera and will be in M mode. probably wired for now. trying to find out if the D7100 in comander mode will work

So far I like what I am reading about this flash. most of what i will be doing is off camera and will be in M mode. probably wired for now. trying to find out if the D7100 in comander mode will work
I'm pretty certian you loose out on hss and commander mode. I don't have a pop-up flash, but this doesn't even register on my camera under that option when in the hotshoe. It flashes and uses ttl just fine though. I think if you want the higher end features they come with a high price tag.

You may be able to use the Pixel Mago, if you are using it off camera. But I also may every well be wrong about that! ;)

I regret getting the OEM speedlight because it cost nearly double the price of my Yongnuo. With the extra money I would have saved by getting Yongnuo initially, I could have gotten the better 50mm 1.4 lens instead of the cheap 50mm 1.8 lens; also a regret. :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back