Need a good GIG bag!

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got a couple big weddings coming up where I wont have my usual assistant, so I'm going to need to carry my equipment with me pretty much at all times. I'm thinking on of those bags that goes around the waist and shoulder strap to support some of the wait.

I'm going to need to stash a D200 and 70-200mm 2.8 along with tripod, extra speedlight, and a couple back up small lenses in addition to batteries cf cards etc. I figure I'll have my D300 and 17-55 2.8 on me at all times.

Anyone have any ideas as far as bags go? Thanks for your help in advance

Last edited:
Around the shoulder... not good at a wedding, because usually, you already have 2 cameras hanging from your neck/shoulders and you do NOT want to be pushing that into people behind you. Think small, light and FAST.

Consider something around the waist. Do a google for SHOOTSAC, that's what many of the wedding guys-n-gals use.

A SHOOTSAC is good for 3 lenses, and one of them can be the 70-200.

Jerry,
Thanks for the tip...I just checked it out, they are pretty interesting although I don't think I'd ever strap one of those on, it's about a half step away from my wifes purse :mrgreen:

The 70-200 isn't a prime, and if you have 2 bodies, i'd just keep them on at all times, have speedlights on both if possible and just turn the lights on or off when you need them or not.

The 70-200 isn't a prime, and if you have 2 bodies, i'd just keep them on at all times, have speedlights on both if possible and just turn the lights on or off when you need them or not.

your right it isn't a prime! I was thinking of my smaller 50mm 1.8 has to fit in the bag somewhere. I somehow manage to bash everything around me while carrying 2 cameras, I guess it just takes more coordination. any suggestions with tripods?

In the 4 weddings I have done so far, I did not feel the need for a tripod and I got pics that were rock solid in the focus department. I carried one around ONCE, and felt all it did was slow me down and do awkward things to me when I needed to MOVE fast (bounce around tossing me off balance and nearly poking innocent bystanders in the eye or crotch, depending on if they were standing or sitting). I do not see the need for them at all unless you have 2 or more hours of time to waste on the formals, which apparently happens only in weddings where there is a full lunar eclipse and an exploding volcano happening simultaneously all in downtown Manhattan.

In the church, it is usually tight and I want to move fast and quiet, so there I do not use tripods either. I use walls, pews, railings, the altar, chairs... ANYTHING else.

Most reactions

Back