Need a good image compressor

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Agalix, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Agalix

Agalix TPF Noob!

I usually take photos in 10 megapixels and that has a JPEG file size of about 3 megabytes, which is quite a lot if you want to email maybe 20 to friends and family simply for viewing. So if I could compress them quickly and easily without having to go into photoshop to save as a smaller jpeg for each and every one, it'd be great! Does anyone know of a good way to compress many jpegs down to about 500 kilobytes quickly? Is there some freeware that does this?

I think that's one area where photoshop fails - managing(and possibly editing) many photos at once. At least, I have Elements 7 and that doesn't do it. But otherwise photoshop is amazing.

2. retexan599

retexan599 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    IrfanView has a useful Batch Conversion feature that includes batch resizing of multiple pictures. And it is freeware. I have used it often for that purpose. See this URL:
    IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Photoshop has more batch capabilities including batch conversion but I do believe Elements can batch resize JPG files too. Someone with elements will have to confirm.

4. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want a light weight, small footprint utility you my try PIXresizer from Bluefive Software:

Free applications, utilities and software programs

I do most of my resizing in Photoshop, but I've used PIXresizer occasionally over the past few years. Its fast and convenient.