Need a Good walkaround lens?

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and am selling my 18-55 with the D40 so I am in need of a mid range zoom. I have thought about a few:

Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-f/5.6
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-f/4.5

I can not afford the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 or I would get it:( The Nikon 18-70 fills the gap very well and has a decent range. The Tamron 17-50 is an f/2.8 lens which is very nice but does not reach as far. The Sigma is a lot like the Nikon 18-70 but is a 3rd party lens. If there are any others in that range and price that you know of please list them. I am reading on these and for the most part people like both the Tamron and Nikon and say the Tamron is a little sharper but noisier focusing. Thanks

Don't forget to throw the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM into your lineup. It's the lens that I would choose if I had $500 to drop on a walk around lens.

I've got the Tamron and it is indeed a nice sharp lens. I do find it a bit short to be a walk around lens, I mostly use it for weddings when I need the F2.8 aperture. I always have a 2nd camera with a different lens, so the range isn't an issue

For a walk around (one camera, one lens) I prefer my EF 17-85 F4-5.6 IS. Obviously not an option for you but you would probably like that range. Does the Nikon 17-70 have VR? If so, that would be my suggestion.

The Tamron is very tempting due to the good revies and f/2.8. I love the70-200 f/2.8 and have said I don't want to get a non f/2.8 lens but that is not practical. The 18-200 is a great lens but I have the 70-200. I hope to eventually get the 50 f/1.4 and I would get the now but I would not have anything to cover the lower range. The Nikon and Tamron are the 2 going head to head right know. The Sigma's are good but I read some iffy reviews and most say the Tamron is better than the Sigma 18-50 but I will go and do some more reading after I post this:)

These are quotes from a comparison I read:

"If purchasing again, I would probably look at the Tamron 17-50/2.8..."

"I would also prefer the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 over the Sigma. Too many reports of focus error with Sigma's normal range zooms."

These are the kind of comments that are keeping me leaning toward the Tamron.

I have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and love it. They also have a 28-70 2.8 version if you want a little more reach on the long end and not so much on the wide end.

I'd recommend the Nikon 18-70; despite being a 'kit' lens, it's a very good piece of glass, accurate focusing, reasonably fast, and decent build quality.

the 17-55/2.8 is actually getting cheap if you look for it used. for a walkaround lens, it's a pig. way too heavy. great IQ out of it though.

I too used to plan on the 18-200mm VR, however, years went by and I never did spend the money and time to get it.
I guess, already having the kit 18-70mm lens, it was hard for my justifying buying the newer 18-200mm for the extra narrow angle end, as I am not crazy about tele photography anyhow.
Now, just the other day I stumbled upon Nikon's new 16-85mm VR DX lens. This could be a different story, I am really fond of wide angle photography, and with the additional vibration reduction (alright, and extra 15mm on the narrow angle end of the zoom), I might just get it. Reviews praise its optical and build qualities.

- Nikon D70, DSLR body
- Nikon 18-70mm AFS DX kit lens (good)
- Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 prime (good)
- Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (good)
- Sigma F-mount 10-20mm (tons of fun)
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (complete waste of money, wish I never bought it)
- Nikkor 24-85mm full frame SLR lens and an F100 body. reminiscent of film era. Not having to go the the lab is great, the thing I miss the most is the beautiful large, high eyepoint F100 viewfinder, the D70 viewfinder feels looks like a toy viewfinder compared to it, but don't get me wrong, I still love the D70.
- Nikkor 16-85mm DX VR - my next lens!? probably yes.

Last edited:
One thing about me; I am not going to just take yalls word on something, I do my homework very well before I purchase something, but I like to have your views on things because if you mention something that I have a question about I can ask, unlike a lot of online reviews. + You never really know who is writing the review online, I know many of you and can trust your oppinions SO...:) I have been reading zillions of reviews on these lens and appreciate the comments. One thing that keeps me from getting the 18-70 or the like is the fact that they are not fixed aperture lens. Maybe I have been spoiled with the 70-200 f/2.8 but I just find that not haveing that seems limiting? The Tamron would fill this gap, and Big Mike said he liked his as has others so that may be the way I go. One thing...I have read something about a Chinese made Tamron 17-50 and a Japanese made Tamron 17-50 and that the Japanese made version is much better?? Much appreciated guys/gals!

I have read something about a Chinese made Tamron 17-50 and a Japanese made Tamron 17-50 and that the Japanese made version is much better??

From what I read, lenses that have the auto focus issue, most of them are assembled in China. It doesn't mean the Japanese assembled version is better. I believe it could be the QC is better when it was assembled in Japan. And all they need to do was send it back for re-adjustment.

Most reactions

Back