Need a lens hood.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dxqcanada, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For those of you that have a Minolta AF 28-135mm f/4-4.5 lens ... I am trying to find a lens hood suitable for for this lens (as Minolta never made one).

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Where have you already looked? B&H has a pretty good selection of aftermarket hoods.

3. dxqcanada

Photos OK to edit
    I have not found any specific information on a lens hood that is suited to that lens.

I have found a number of 72mm petal lens hoods ... but I am not sure if they are designed for this focal length.

I was hoping to find someone else with this lens (or focal length) that has a hood.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This lens came from the factory without a lens hood... likely for a good reason... it's front element was designed in such a manner that a lens hood would cause possible issues. Now, this is all conjecture by me, but why else would the factory not include a lens hood with the lens in the first place?

BTW, lens hoods are not all that expensive, so spending $20 to find out if that 72mm petal hood works or not is not a big thing (get the petal hood, not the round ones... it is a better design). Chances are it will work well, or you will definitely know why they came without one... lol

5. dxqcanada

Photos OK to edit
    I have read many forum discussions on this topic ... nobody knows why Minolta did not manufacture a Lens Hood for it. The front element is huge on this lens, so it would be highly beneficial to have a hood for it.

This is (was) a very expensive lens ... rumored to be designed for Minolta by Leica ... maybe they were not commissioned to design a hood ?

Yeah, I was thinking of just buying a couple of hoods ... and cutting them down to size if they are too long.