Need a little conformation?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by HailttRedskins, May 4, 2008.

1. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I believe I have this correct, but I'd just like someone to confirm it or correct me if I'm wrong.

When shooting with the Rebel XTi, the image size modes are L M and S.

All I want to confirm is that the quality will be the same, just the MP will be different.

I don't need any huge file and would have no use for it, or at least not yet to say, and I'm going to a car show in about an hour, and if I can take the same quality images, just smaller resolution, but 1000 S compared to 500 L I think I'd do that.

Let me know.

2. RebelTasha

RebelTasha TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well by accident I had my S3 set to S, when I went to get 4x6 prints made a warning came up that the quality would not be good enough.
    4x6 isn't that big in the grand scheme of things so you may want to stay away from S.. JMO.

3. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=139&modelid=14256#ModelTechSpecsAct

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    True the images will have the same quality - but if you take larger shots you can downsize them to the size you want and they will have a better overall quality than if they were shot with the camera at that size -- least that is my understanding (don't forget that if you resized up or down that the unsharpen mask is your best friend)
    best thing (though you don't have the time now) is to experiment (or go to amazon and get some more memory cards0

5. plentygood

plentygood TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1000 shots at a car show seems like a lot (to me atleast). I know it's easy to shoot several frames of the same thing with digital, but I've seen people on here that I really admire advise that being more selective on your shots and not just clicking because you have the space will improve your shooting in the long run. I've even seen people advise walking around with a small storage card as opposed to a large one. You could even delete some of the obvious bad ones off the back of the camera if you ran out of space.

Personally, I'd hate to get a shot that I really really liked and it be too small.

6. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, the technical JPG quality will be the same, but if you print it out the JPEGness (odd colour blotching in high-contrast areas) will be worse. Of course, if you have the quality constantly on Fine, then you'll be... erm... fine!

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're heading down a bad path already. Limit yourself. Set the camera to take the largest file it can. Stop, and finally think about what you were doing. Act as if you have film.

You will quickly realise that it is nicer to have 150 well thought out nice shots, than to sort through 1000 crap photos resulting from you just pointing the camera at anything and clicking.

Last car show I went to I took some 500 photos on digital and got about 20 good ones. The one before that I had only 1 36 roll of film with me and still got 20 good ones.

8. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    +1.

If you have to decide between image quality and file size, pretty much always go for quality, and limit yourself to the number of pics you take (or delete bad photos on the day). But if you're only going to do 6x4's, you should be OK with Medium resolution. Still, go High if you can.

9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd just drop it down to medium. 5MP is still plenty for most normal print sizes. 10MP is overkill in most cases for me, and my 6MP D40 still does great 3-foot wide prints with only 6MP. The advice about being selective is good too. I would not go all the way down to a Small image though. Too limiting if you get a great photo and want to do an enlargement.

10. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Depends on what size car show you are going to in all honesty. Though they may be correct about that, one thing I can tell you is I like at least three shots (engine, sideview, and angle view), but I sometimes like to take more shots if it's a real or rare. When were talking well over 200+ cars space tends to go real fast, I noticed it a lot on the old card I had which is why I got the 2GB.

I decided to leave the images in the Large mode just in case someone wanted it or something, so I'm able to take about 800 some images in total on large which is more than enough, we all know not every car at a car show is nice or picture worthy :lol:

11. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    800 images? Is that on Large/Normal quality? Because I can only fit 600 6MP images on my 2gb card on my D40. 3mb per image :x

12. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :lol: Sorry, was referring to my 1GB + 2GB cards, the 2GB can fit 597 it said I believe.