Need a little help...D7000 to D600

Thanks for the replies everyone. I called Nikon and gave them the serial number that he gave me. They said it was under the affected list of D600's with the shutter problem and that I can send it to them to have it serviced or replaced (up to the tech who handles it). PICKING IT UP TODAY!
Good luck :)

FYI, my shutter was replaced last year. I haven't noticed any other issues though I need to test it again.

I have a D7000 and a D600 currently. I shoot primarily birds and wildlife.

Put it this way, I don't use the D7000, I let my daughter use it whenever she wants (not too often).

Basically it's wasting away, I should really sell it but I was going to use it towards a part exchange for a D810 ;)

Also, sent my D600 away to Nikon last September to get the shutter replaced because of the oil issue. Basically a brand new camera came back.

D600 all the way!

I have a D7000 and a D600 currently. I shoot primarily birds and wildlife.

Put it this way, I don't use the D7000, I let my daughter use it whenever she wants (not too often).

Basically it's wasting away, I should really sell it but I was going to use it towards a part exchange for a D810 ;)

Also, sent my D600 away to Nikon last September to get the shutter replaced because of the oil issue. Basically a brand new camera came back.

D600 all the way!
I also kept my d7000 for "backup" purposes. But after realizing through testing that cropping the d600 image actually was better than the d7000's especially for very long distance subjects .. and still keeping the d7000 for backup of which when I sent the d600 for work I never used it, I sold it after that.

I kept it around for the kids too but they're better off with my Nikon P7800 now as DOF is better especially for their video stuff.

Ok its mine! Picked it up today. Super clean really nice camera. I shot the sky at f11 a few times and I don't see any drops at all. Not sure if it will at some point but I will keep my eye on it. Nikon sent me a packaging slip for this thing earlier today when I asked them to run my serial number. Should I send it in for a new shutter anyway even though i don't see anything? Took a few shots with it this afternoon its really nice on colors and details!

Ok its mine! Picked it up today. Super clean really nice camera. I shot the sky at f11 a few times and I don't see any drops at all. Not sure if it will at some point but I will keep my eye on it. Nikon sent me a packaging slip for this thing earlier today when I asked them to run my serial number. Should I send it in for a new shutter anyway even though i don't see anything? Took a few shots with it this afternoon its really nice on colors and details!
Congratulation, I have a feeling this is a beginning of a beautiful friendship :)
Personally I believe in the saying if it aint broken dont fix it so I personally wouldnt send the camera unless I would see issues with it.

Good luck and post some pictures.

Wow great deal.Congrats

I've read reports from people saying that they've never experienced the issue.

I'd keep hold of it, have fun with it. Don't fix what ain't broke!

If you do have to ever send it in, in the UK at least, I had it back within a couple of weeks :)

I had a 9 day turn around.

If it were me, id probably send it off now. This gives you a brand new shutter that shouldn't ever have the issue once replaced. Basically replacing the only wear item in a camera.

If for some reason down the road if does start slinging oil, you can complain to nikon and they will replace the camera.

I had a 9 day turn around.

If it were me, id probably send it off now. This gives you a brand new shutter that shouldn't ever have the issue once replaced. Basically replacing the only wear item in a camera.

If for some reason down the road if does start slinging oil, you can complain to nikon and they will replace the camera.
Yeah- if it had 2k actuations I would just roll with it; but 14k? I would take Nikon up on the offer to fix/replace for free now.

DISCLAIMER: according to What is The Shutter Life Expectancy of a DSLR Camera? - Instant Fundas , the average estimate life of a D600 shutter is 150k, so maybe replacing is overkill. Still, this is an estimate based on averages, so....

I think my shutter was replaced around 25k.
So a new camera in a sense from that point forward.
I'm hoping for it to sling some more oil then I'll get a new d610.
I like free upgrades

Thanks Guys....Im torn. Half of me says send it in the other is saying why bother if its not broke....I ll probably send it as Im not sure if he just cleaned the shutter and that may be the only reason Im not seeing the spots yet. Really looking forward to getting some shutter time on this thing!

IMO I would not send it unless you notice a problem.Going with out a new to you camera that don't seem to be broke just don't make sense to me.I would enjoy it unless you see a problem or Nikon tells you they will replace it with the D610 on the first trip around.Not everyone went through the oil splat just like not everyone experienced flare issues on the D750.

nikon wont replace the camera until they've replaced the shutter first and it still happens to fling oil.

at 14K, yours is bound to be flinging oil. Most people start seeing it around 4-5K. your PO was just good about cleaning it I suppose -- or yours really is a good one.

might as well just get the shutter replacement out of the way so if it ever comes back then you can get the D610. they have to replace the shutter first in order to get a replacement camera. although the longer you wait to better chances that it might not happen until after a D610 replacement is available. :)

I would put a good number of actuations on it in Feb and then send it in. Otherwise down the road you are going to be wondering if your going to have the problem. I expect Nikon is still prepared to address the issue quickly right now, another year and they may start to move this down on their priority list.

Most reactions

Back