Need a little help with off-camera lighting

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I "Was" going to expand a little and get some off-camera lighting.. I dont know much about "Slave" flashes or other lighting extras, but I was going to learn...... Then.... - I get the news that all State Employees are getting a 16 hour/month furlough until July... That puts the crimp in things for now.. (At my hourly wage, that actually hurts a lot right now.):grumpy:

So - I need to go as cheap as possible (For now)... Any suggestions as so some flashes, triggers that I can use with a Canon 450D ? I currently have a Promaster 7400EDF that, I believe, won't work in a system - Some are triggered by other flashes, and some are radio triggered - any of those choices better in your opinion? - Any suggestons on a small system that will get me a little more experience in lighting options?

Thanks,

r

What do you plan on shooting? That factors in big time to what equipment you need.

For a flash there is always the recommended Vivitar 285HV.

Vivitar | 285HV Flash | 233965 | B&H Photo Video

It will run you about 90$, and also keep in mind that it doesn't have TTL capabilities.

If you just like to do macro, and more casual stuff you could just buy a hot shoe cable and attach the flashgun to that. I don't know if the XSi has wireless flash capabilities, so a more expensive flash unit might be out.

Other than a hot shoe cable you can get inexpensive wireless triggers.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Wireless-Receiver-cowboystudio/dp/B002W3IXZW/"]Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo[/ame]

So far quite a few people on this forum have gotten these models and are fairly pleased. I myself am probably going to get them soon to.

EDIT:
I just looked at your flickr and I am not sure why you feel like you need a external flash. You shoot mainly landscapes.

I have had Cactus V4 radio triggers for about 9 months now. I made a 2nd order for more of them about 2 months ago. Ordered more so I could use more flashes not becasue one went bad. I now have 2 transmitters and 12 recievers. Clear line of site they work well up to 225'.

It doesn't look like your flash has manual settings for power so will need a new flash. Can alway look for a used flash as well (does not have to be Canon, just manual power controls). The Vivitar 285 is back in production too and it has a very good following. Gadget Infinity is the suplier and ships from China. Midwest Photo Exchange as far as I know is the only in US distribuitor. The only thing they admit is the supplied batteries are weak / dont last long.

EDIT:
I just looked at your flickr and I am not sure why you feel like you need a external flash. You shoot mainly landscapes.

Yup - cuz I don't have the lighting.... :mrgreen::mrgreen: -= Now I can do something else....

Just ordered

2 Vivitar 285's
1 CowboyStudio Trans/Recvr
1 CowboyStudio Recvr
1 Lighting Stand/bracket/umbrella

Appreciate the comments and suggestions - should be fun !!

r

for studio stuff see my website...it's free and will show you the absolutely cheapest way to go other than sunshine...cheers!

I "Was" going to expand a little and get some off-camera lighting.. I dont know much about "Slave" flashes or other lighting extras, but I was going to learn...... Then.... - I get the news that all State Employees are getting a 16 hour/month furlough until July... That puts the crimp in things for now.. (At my hourly wage, that actually hurts a lot right now.):grumpy:

So - I need to go as cheap as possible (For now)...

Save your dough for your medical insurance. It's not free, you know.

Save your dough for your medical insurance. It's not free, you know.

More true than you know ... Some people would consider this a political issue, but I consider it nothing more than the Insurance companies greed issue... But - if I comment on what I feel about this, the thread would get tossed on the grounds of becoming a political post... Suffice to say, when I get my new lighting, perhaps I can take a picture of my "Pre-existing" condition that prevents me from getting reasonable insurance after retirement.... :mrgreen:

There - that stayed on topic... :D

I think if you have 2 flashes and 2 receivers. You need 2 light stands, 2 brackets .....

Maybe add a reflector(s) if you do not have that yet.

I think if you have 2 flashes and 2 receivers. You need 2 light stands, 2 brackets .....

Maybe add a reflector(s) if you do not have that yet.

Yup, will pick them up next payday... can you reccomend a reflector? - I know they're cheap, but is there a better kind/color/shape?

I'll get those items as well as a snoot & grid in a couple of weeks.. i'm reading the Strobist and cant' wait to try some stuff out...

tks,

r

can you reccomend a reflector? - I know they're cheap, but is there a better kind/color/shape?
The most convenient, are the circular collapsible ones.
Collapsible Reflectors
They fold up nicely are are easy to pack. The trouble with the circular ones, is that you need a person (voice activated light stand) to hold them (or some elaborate clamp system).
I like the 5-in-1 type, as it gives you a few options...my favoraite being the diffusion panel, which you can hold up between your subject and the sun, making for beautiful light.

But really, anything can be a reflector. For example, you could pick up a 20x30 piece of white foam core board for a couple bucks, works great as a reflector.

can you reccomend a reflector? - I know they're cheap, but is there a better kind/color/shape?
The most convenient, are the circular collapsible ones.
Collapsible Reflectors
They fold up nicely are are easy to pack. The trouble with the circular ones, is that you need a person (voice activated light stand) to hold them (or some elaborate clamp system).
I like the 5-in-1 type, as it gives you a few options...my favoraite being the diffusion panel, which you can hold up between your subject and the sun, making for beautiful light.

But really, anything can be a reflector. For example, you could pick up a 20x30 piece of white foam core board for a couple bucks, works great as a reflector.

I've used a windshield shade that's a reflective aluminum surface before, but it's pretty harsh... Guess anything can be used if it works...:mrgreen:

tks for the suggestions....

r

Hey, I was wondering if you got yuor gear yet, and if so, how was is it?
I'm looking at purchasing some similar equipment (actually, I did. Placed an oder on cactus stuff, but they are out of stock, so I have a little more research time :p). I looked at the "cowboy" stuff, but couldn;t find any reviews...

Most reactions

Back