Need a little professional help!

ken613

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone...I figured I'd ask this here even though I'm not a pro. I'm sure someone has a good suggestion.

I have a filter stuck on a Nikon 80-200 F2.8 (old model push-pull) Its been on there for probably 15 years. It is not cross-threaded, just really, really tight.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks
Ken

Welcome to the forum.

The problem is usually because it's hard to equalize the pressure around the filter. For example, try to use four or 5 fingers to twist it, rather than two or three.

I'm guessing that you've tried that, so you might want to try a filter wrench. You could probably walk into a good camera store (or maybe an old 'used gear' type place) and ask them if they have one you could use.

Try wrapping a thick rubber band around the filter rim,and using that as leverage. Sometimes that will help with improving your grip on the filter. A second thing that works pretty well is to use the rubber fabric product known as "dysom"; it is used to improve grip on smooth or slippery objects, often by the disabled or arthritic. It is made in sheets,and a sheet cut to the size of a handkerchief will allow you to put a lens cap on the lens, drape it over the filter end, and really get a grip on the filter. One easy place to find a dysom or dysom-like product is at RV stores; many RV'ers use it to line their dish cabinets and drawers, because its rubber surface "grips" and keeps things in place while they are driving their RV's around.

Try tapping the filter rim with a wooden spoon handle,all the way around, for a couple of minutes--not hard, just tap on it. Then see if it comes loose using one of the above methods.

The filter wrench idea Big Mike mentions--that's too easy!!! That's called using the right tool for the job at hand...so I'd try that route as soon as you can.

FYI:
You can help to prevent this by taking a pencil and going over the threads of the filter before you screw it on.

Most reactions

Back