Need a new bag, what should I get?

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We have no camera store here so I am having a really hard time deciding what bag to get.
I currently have a SlingShot 100. I can technically fit everything, but it is REALLY tight!
I have a:
D90
50mm
18-105mm
70-300mm
SB-600

Random stuff like extra batteries, cards, diffusers and a teensy softbox.
I would love if it would also fit my wallet, cell phone & keys...maybe sunglasses, small personal stuff.

I would like to keep the cost under $150

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Wow.. you will get more responses here than "what camera", and shopping for a bag without getting hands on is going to be a little tough. My best advice is to do a search under thread titles for "what bag" and see all the threads that pop up. Read through a few of them to get some ideas, and then go do some research.

I know. It is just hard because I am a total noob AND there is nowhere here to try stuff.
The BestBuy by me has SlingShots and some Nikon and Sony shoulder bags...and then weird fake alligator girly ones.
We have no local camera stores, at all...and I am a bad judge of size based on just pics.
Just hoping someone here would be able to tell me what well made and well padded bags would comfortably fit my stuff...so then I would at least have a well educated list to start Googling :)

get a stealth reporter from ebags, if you join bing cash back its 20% cheaper

Take a look at the Lowepro Flipside 300, pretty awesome bag and can be found on eBay from a reputable seller for just under $60.

Take a look at the Lowepro Flipside 300, pretty awesome bag and can be found on eBay from a reputable seller for just under $60.

How easy is it to access other lenses in this bag?
My only complaint about the Slingshot (other than the 100 being too small) is that it is more difficult to swap lenses than in a messenger style bag.

I'm actually thinking about getting a bag today for a trip into DC.

I currently have a very small bag for just the camera and a couple filters, and a shoulder bag that will fit all of my camera stuff but nothing else. I was looking for a day pack that would carry stuff for a short hike or a day trip into the city.

Here's the two I'm liking the most, presented in the hopes it will help you in your search :-D

Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 85
Amazon.com: Tamrac 3385 Aero Speed Pack 85 Dual Access Photo/Laptop Backpack (Black): Electronics

There're two versions of this. From what I've seen, the difference is a laptop pocket. This one will take a 17 inch laptop, and the 75 doesn't appear to have a laptop pocket at all. The bottom compartment gets the camera and items, and can be accessed both from the side and from the front. It's designed so you can shuck the backpack to quickly get to the camera, which I like. While when I'm wandering through the city the camera will probably be on a strap rather than in the bag for the most part, there will definitely be times I'd prefer the camera hidden away but easily accessible.

Kata Sensitivity V
Amazon.com: Kata Ergo-Tech Series Sensitivity V Personal Gear Backpack for Digital Camera and 12 Inch Laptop Computer, Black: Electronics

This one is smaller, only holds a 12 inch laptop. It also has two compartments, but the difference is that neither compartment is dedicated to photography gear, and the divider between the two can be unzipped to make the backpack useful for more than just photography. To be honest, I'm not sold on it entirely right now, but according to Photocraft (my semi-local photography store), they've got it in stock so I'm going to leave work a bit early and go check them out today.

I'd be appreciative if anyone else has an opinion on either of these. I was pointed out the Aero by a guy working at another photography store near here. He said it sells out every time they get it, and they can't keep it in stock. I have heard good reviews on the Kata's but never seen one in person.

Mel

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Check out www.crumpler.ca if you're in Canada or www.crumpler.com for the US.

These are by far, the *best* bags I've ever owned. They are well designed and they don't scream camera bag. If you want to something modern, well made, and that doesn't peg you as someone carrying expensive equipment, check them out.

Yes, they're more expensive than what you'll find in the cheapest row at Best Buy, but the money is worth it. Check out the reviews online.

Think Tank, and Domke make nice bags.

In the past I've used Case Logic and Tenba too.

Even better is a waterproof, o-ring sealed, hard case like a Pelican.

I don't get why people have a problem finding themselves a bag. :scratch:

I use two bags. One for 'local', and one for 'traveling'. It sounds like you have the local bag covered.

I use a Lowepro Fastpack 100 and Fastpack 250. It's nice that the 250 stores my laptop as well, so I have one less bag when traveling.

It's nice to have a lighter load when local though. My 250 is heavier than I'd like when fully loaded.

I don't get why people have a problem finding themselves a bag. :scratch:

Seriously? All I have available is a freaking Best Buy! Not much in the way of a selection. Aside from getting a bigger slingshot they had nothing that comfortably held all my stuff.
If I had the luxury of at least one B&M camera shop I think I would not have a problem. The options at B&H and Adorama are endless and I am getting overwhelmed trying to figure what is best.
That, and I am a noob that has not owned a million different bags and figured what works.

So, I think I am going to keep my Slingshot for when I just want to travel lite.
I like the messenger bags and I really like the Crumpler ones.
As far as size goes. What is the difference between the 6 million and 7 million?
Will my stuff fit in the 6?
Also, how big is the front storage pocket? I can't find pics of exactly what comfortably fits in there

Thanks again for all the help

dude, obviously 7m is bigger than 6m, i have the 7m and by far dont have any complains about it. i think the lenses that you mentioned will all gonna fit. you can also google it at youtube, there's a live video concerning the 7m and the stuffs the would fit in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back