Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canon 7D

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters

xsouthpawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey forum

So, I just found out / discovered yesterday that my Canon's 10D autofocus does NOT work anymore :( I'm in the school yearbook and I need to start shooting events by the end of this month. I might be able to borrow my friend's Nikon d5000 for the first few events, but I need my own soon.

Right now, I'm considering 40D, 50D, 60D (when / if it comes out), or a 7D

I've read about the Canon trade-in program to trade in old Canon DSLR's.. does anyone have any experience with that?

I shoot mostly people, school events.
uhm... I have Canon 28-105mm (very old model, kit lens of the 10D i think), Canon 50mm f/1.4, and a Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Oh, And I really want HD video capabilities (I have quite an interest in film / visual effects)

If you are currently without a working camera, I don't think you can afford to just sit around and wait for the 60D to come out (if it even does)...

To me, this sounds like a situation where you want to get the most camera you can for your budget, as soon as possible.

Check out the trade-in thing though - you might be able to get a good deal.

Its hard to recommend a camera to you without knowing your budget. Obviously, if budget is no issue, I would go for the 7d. 1080p HD video, 18mp, 8fps continuous shooting. There's been a lot of articles written about how this camera may even been nicer that the 5D, although it isn't a full frame dslr. I think it retails for about 17 or 1800 bucks though.

my bad.
I'm actually not exactly sure what my budget is.. though It really seems like $1700 is too much.

I'm hopeful on rumors that 60D should be released next week or something along those lines.
But is the 40D an option I should consider? or go just look at the 50D / 7D?

I voted for the 7D. A modern camera, with more than a 9-point diamond AF pattern...a camera with color-aware light metering...a camera with a built-in remote flash commander...something 2007-ish but yet at a better, 2010 price.
If you are updating from the 10D, which I have shot and am familiar with, I think you'd be smart to go with Canon's newest introductions, which are basically ditching that tired, old 9-point pattern diamond array,and going with a wider-array, that covers much more of the field, and bringing in color-aware light metering for better flash and daylight exposure metering in challenging conditions. When you upgrade, it makes sense to go to the newest technologies.

I might be able to borrow my friend's Nikon d5000 for the first few events

Friends don't let friends shoot Nikon! (OK, relax everybody, just joking)

Oh, And I really want HD video capabilities (I have quite an interest in film / visual effects)
Well, that kinda seals the deal on the 7D. However, the 50D is available at a great price these days, so if budget is an issue, best to live without video and go that route.

If you can afford it, the 7D is the clear choice.

Other than video, there would be other considerations for me, like noise levels using an ISO of around 3200, or how quickly I can change to spot metering or something.

Other than video, there would be other considerations for me, like noise levels using an ISO of around 3200, or how quickly I can change to spot metering or something.

This is actually my only concern about the 7D. I know its the newest technology, but wouldn't you think noise would be an issue when cramming all those MP onto a crop frame sensor? I have no actual hands on experience with the 7D.

This is actually my only concern about the 7D. I know its the newest technology, but wouldn't you think noise would be an issue when cramming all those MP onto a crop frame sensor? I have no actual hands on experience with the 7D.
You'd think that, but it actually handles noise quite well considering. It's got about 1 full stop better ISO performance than the 50D (fairly clean at 3200, usable-in-a-pinch 6400).

Here are some ISO 3200 examples I shot at a concert a while back:
http://a.imageshack.us/img444/2574/img7290.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img293/4878/33811789.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img685/1710/img7245h.jpg

All these are rather tightly cropped too; pretty good for a high MP APS-C if you ask me.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly the highest model in the current lineup (that you can afford) with immediate availability will probably be your best bet. My vote would also be on the 7D. This is especially true since you are interested in video as well.

40D bodies are going for under $500 on ebay, I should know I'm trying to sell mine.

Just noticed you are looking for video, I'd look a T1i or T2i.

You'd think that, but it actually handles noise quite well considering. It's got about 1 full stop better ISO performance than the 50D (fairly clean at 3200, usable-in-a-pinch 6400).

Here are some ISO 3200 examples I shot at a concert a while back:
http://a.imageshack.us/img444/2574/img7290.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img293/4878/33811789.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img685/1710/img7245h.jpg

All these are rather tightly cropped too; pretty good for a high MP APS-C if you ask me.

I'm actually not too worried about ISO performance, as the 10D's iso performance isn't that great.. (I don't like using anything about 400)

Well if you're just doing yearbook shoots and don't need high ISO performance (or all the other speed/sports application), it sounds like pretty much any DSLR would fit your needs. A 40D would be the cheapest option for excellent stills, but it has no video. A Rebel T2i would work well, but it'd be kind of like taking two steps forward, one step back. However, it may be the best candidate if you wanted good stills and still have good DSLR video abilities within a reasonable budget.

Go to a local electronics store and play with a couple of the models on display (Likely T2i's and 50D's). See if the Rebel works for you or if you grew too accustom to some of the features and amenities the xxD series has.

However, if you're going to be shooting any night events with garbage lighting (I'm lookin at you crappy football field), you may want something that can shoot comfortably at 3200 ISO.

Last edited:
Go to a local electronics store and play with a couple of the models on display (Likely T2i's and 50D's). See if the Rebel works for you or if you grew too accustom to some of the features and amenities the xxD series has.

However, if you're going to be shooting any night events with garbage lighting (I'm lookin at you crappy football field), you may want something that can shoot comfortably at 3200 ISO.

I really need that extra dial on the side of the body from the xxD series.
And I'm most likely going to be needing to shoot dark/dimly lit dances, i.e. prom / winter formal

But now that some preliminary 60D photos have been released, do you guys have any different opinions?
I actually feel less sure about the 60D now.

Most reactions

Back