Need a new body quick!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by xsouthpawed, Aug 8, 2010.

?

Which Camera to update to (from a 10D)

1. Canon 40D

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Canon 50D

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Canon 60D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Canon 7D

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. xsouthpawed

xsouthpawed TPF Noob!

Hey forum

So, I just found out / discovered yesterday that my Canon's 10D autofocus does NOT work anymore :( I'm in the school yearbook and I need to start shooting events by the end of this month. I might be able to borrow my friend's Nikon d5000 for the first few events, but I need my own soon.

Right now, I'm considering 40D, 50D, 60D (when / if it comes out), or a 7D

I've read about the Canon trade-in program to trade in old Canon DSLR's.. does anyone have any experience with that?

I shoot mostly people, school events.
    uhm... I have Canon 28-105mm (very old model, kit lens of the 10D i think), Canon 50mm f/1.4, and a Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Oh, And I really want HD video capabilities (I have quite an interest in film / visual effects)

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are currently without a working camera, I don't think you can afford to just sit around and wait for the 60D to come out (if it even does)...

To me, this sounds like a situation where you want to get the most camera you can for your budget, as soon as possible.

Check out the trade-in thing though - you might be able to get a good deal.

3. DirtyDFeckers

DirtyDFeckers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Its hard to recommend a camera to you without knowing your budget. Obviously, if budget is no issue, I would go for the 7d. 1080p HD video, 18mp, 8fps continuous shooting. There's been a lot of articles written about how this camera may even been nicer that the 5D, although it isn't a full frame dslr. I think it retails for about 17 or 1800 bucks though.

4. xsouthpawed

xsouthpawed TPF Noob!

my bad.
    I'm actually not exactly sure what my budget is.. though It really seems like $1700 is too much.

I'm hopeful on rumors that 60D should be released next week or something along those lines.
    But is the 40D an option I should consider? or go just look at the 50D / 7D?

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I voted for the 7D. A modern camera, with more than a 9-point diamond AF pattern...a camera with color-aware light metering...a camera with a built-in remote flash commander...something 2007-ish but yet at a better, 2010 price.
    If you are updating from the 10D, which I have shot and am familiar with, I think you'd be smart to go with Canon's newest introductions, which are basically ditching that tired, old 9-point pattern diamond array,and going with a wider-array, that covers much more of the field, and bringing in color-aware light metering for better flash and daylight exposure metering in challenging conditions. When you upgrade, it makes sense to go to the newest technologies.

6. subscuck

subscuck No longer a newbie, moving up!

Illinois, where even the dead get to vote
    Photos OK to edit
    Friends don't let friends shoot Nikon! (OK, relax everybody, just joking)

Well, that kinda seals the deal on the 7D. However, the 50D is available at a great price these days, so if budget is an issue, best to live without video and go that route.

7. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you can afford it, the 7D is the clear choice.

8. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Other than video, there would be other considerations for me, like noise levels using an ISO of around 3200, or how quickly I can change to spot metering or something.

9. DirtyDFeckers

DirtyDFeckers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

This is actually my only concern about the 7D. I know its the newest technology, but wouldn't you think noise would be an issue when cramming all those MP onto a crop frame sensor? I have no actual hands on experience with the 7D.

10. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You'd think that, but it actually handles noise quite well considering. It's got about 1 full stop better ISO performance than the 50D (fairly clean at 3200, usable-in-a-pinch 6400).

Here are some ISO 3200 examples I shot at a concert a while back:
    http://a.imageshack.us/img444/2574/img7290.jpg
    http://a.imageshack.us/img293/4878/33811789.jpg
    http://a.imageshack.us/img685/1710/img7245h.jpg

All these are rather tightly cropped too; pretty good for a high MP APS-C if you ask me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  11. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Not surprisingly the highest model in the current lineup (that you can afford) with immediate availability will probably be your best bet. My vote would also be on the 7D. This is especially true since you are interested in video as well.

12. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    40D bodies are going for under $500 on ebay, I should know I'm trying to sell mine.

Just noticed you are looking for video, I'd look a T1i or T2i.