Need a new camera

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, due to some circumstances out of my control (it might've involved a friend's wedding and too much beer) I've lost my camera. Not to be outdone, that night also claimed my suit jacket from my brand-new suit. Anyways... It was a Pentax K1000, which I loved using. However I've heard that there's better Pentax cameras out there, like an M series. It'd be nice to stick with the Pentax body since I've got a few lenses for it, but it'd also be nice to have a timer. Any suggestions?

There are newer cameras, but whether they are actually better is a matter of opinion. The ZX-M has a better meter than the K-1000, and a few other fancy features, but it also requires batteries to operate, and isn't anywhere near as durable as a K-1000.

EDIT: When looking on the used market there are 2 Pentax cameras that cost more than they are probably worth because they have somewhat of a cult following. These would be the K-1000 and the LX. There are many other Pentax 35mm SLRs that go for great deals and are really nice cameras.

Check out the ME Super. There are a million of them on the used market.

Is the ME as durable as the K1000? Not that I really abuse them, mind you, but I am somewhat clumsy from time to time.:blushing: Oh, and are the lenses the same mount as the K?

nealjpage said:
Is the ME as durable as the K1000? Not that I really abuse them, mind you, but I am somewhat clumsy from time to time.:blushing: Oh, and are the lenses the same mount as the K?

Yes, the ME or ME Super are mostly metal cameras, although they are electronic, so they need batteries to run. I think the MX is a non-electronic version of the ME.

All Pentax lenses and cameras made since about 1970 are K-mount lenses. Before that they were screw mount lenses.

The KM might also be worth looking at. Its about the same as the K-1000 and has a timer and DOF preview, which i don't think the k-1000 does. But it is still an old school camera. I've enjoyed mine a lot

im a big fan of pentax, the first camera i ever touched was a k1000, i bought a km and i love it to death.

i dont like some of the auto function on the me, its kinda tricky to figure out.

I love my K1000. I still use it a lot even though I also have a much newer Canon Elan 7N. Like 303villain, it was the first SLR camera I ever shot with. However, one thing I always missed from it is the DOF Preview. A timer is also a useful feature for the times I want to do a long exposure but don't have a cable release. By the sound of it, if the KM is as solid as the K1000, I think the KM might be a slightly better bet simply because it has a few more features that can be quite useful from time to time.

What does the DOF preview do for me?

Using the ME cameras in a manual exposure mode is somewhat awkward I think, I could be wrong but it involves several steps. They are primarily designed to be used in aperature-priority mode.

DOF preview lets you see the amount of depth of field your photo will have given the aperature you have selected. If you have your 50/2 lens set to f8, when you normally look through the viewfinder you are actually looking with the lens wide open (in order to have a reasonably bright image and to allow for precise focusing) at f2. When you shoot the camera instantaneously shuts the lens down to f8 to take the photo, which would give considerably more depth of field than at f2. If you want to see exactly what will be in focus and how out of focus (if at all) the background will be for a given aperature setting then you would use your DOF preview button. The view will get very dark but you will see exactly the depth of view that your photo will have. Personally I think it is an essential feature.

Dave

I'm a pentax collector and I love the entire line. If you like the simplicity and durability of the K1000, I'd stick to it and find another K series. The match needle meter is so simple that it is brilliant. If you are use to it, you will miss it. I would recommend finding a K2. Matched needle, center weight instead of the full frame averaged like the K1000.

ME/MX line is one of the smallest 35mm SLRs of that time period. I love carrying my ME with the 28mm pancake lens... it fits nicely in my pocket. The plain jane ME is probably not for you. It was aimed at the typical amateur and thus only has aperature priority. If you go with the M series go try out the MX.

selmerdave said:
Using the ME cameras in a manual exposure mode is somewhat awkward I think, I could be wrong but it involves several steps. They are primarily designed to be used in aperature-priority mode.

I agree with you, and I almost mentioned this, but then I decided that compared to most of today's whiz bang, button encrusted 35mm AF SLRs, it's still a pretty simple camera to control.

Most reactions

Back