Need a nice Canon walk around lens...

hmm i was just taking a look at the 17-85 and that looks like a good posibility. only downside is the aperture like you said.

how do you think the imagae quality of this lens is? is this also on par with the L series? and the build quality?

The lens will be pretty good. It wont get you into L lens territory, but thats not really what its meant to do. Its a pretty good image quality, very versatile lens. Though from what I've read on it it doesn't do so well on the wide angle end.

yea i was just reading some reviews to. i dont think it will do good on the wide angle end.

i tink im getting thw 1000 one.

thanks guys !

The 17-55mm is probably your best bet for a non L lens, and is a great walkaround lens on a DX body. However, if you can afford it, I would spring for the 24-105mm. Before you say it (for the fifth time), I know its an L lens, but its a great investment. Should you decide to go full frame, that 17-55 is going to become a shiny paperweight.

(Assuming you didn't already purchase the lens you were interested in) How long is the coupon good for? Perhaps you could explore a different kind of photography and get a quality non L lens such as an EF 100mm 2.8 macro (for examples sake), save a decent amount of cash on something you may be interested in later anyhow and still have some cash left over to put towards a walk around L lens a bit later. :D I'm sure this has crossed your mind, and I know how it is when you want something specific hehe.. just trying to help ya cover all bases I guess.

Should you decide to go full frame, that 17-55 is going to become a shiny paperweight.

I have one of those shiny paperweights and I can't speak highly enough of them on a crop sensor body. Much of the stuff on my flickr site is taken with it. Check this image out, and bear in mind that the shot was taken at 1/3s hand held at f/2.8 - Replicant Soup

I have an 80-200 for my NIkon camera, and canon makes a 70-300, im not sure which one, that Im sure would be great, and on B&H it was under 200 dollars.

Should you decide to go full frame, that 17-55 is going to become a shiny paperweight.
It could easily be sold for 80-90% of the purchase price. Good quality lenses hold their value very well.

I have one of those shiny paperweights and I can't speak highly enough of them on a crop sensor body. Much of the stuff on my flickr site is taken with it. Check this image out, and bear in mind that the shot was taken at 1/3s hand held at f/2.8 - Replicant Soup

Hey, I'm not dissin the 17-55. I love my 18-50. However, I don't know what the posters intentions are, and with full frame becoming less and less expensive, and more popular, it would seem wiser to go with an FF lens.

I have to agree with Big Mike. That 17-55 will hold darn near all its value. It is, was, and always will be a fine piece of kit. Folks will always be wanting them. (so long as Canon continues with the EF EF-S mounts).

thanks eveyrone for the replies. I think Im going withthe 17-55.

I was just looking at ebay and you guys were right . they are getting 800 bucks no problem for those lenses!!! (used)

Im sure if i put it out there for 900 someone would come across and buy it.

so yeah, im probably getting that lens.

thank

Before you do (I hope I'm in time), I'd suggest the 28-135mm IS.

It's a good lens, gives you a wider range. And it has IS, of course.

I have the 28-135, and I consider it to be the paperweight. LOL Seriously, I hate that lens. Others may or may not like it, but I find it worthless on crop sensor. I think the 17-55 is way better for a walk-about lens.

IMHO the image quality on the 28-135 cannot touch the 17-55. Furthermore, the wide angle of the 17 -55 allows a lot of shots the 28-135 simply cannot take. If you need more focal range, use the old method. Walk. :)

yeah, I would definitely go with the 17-55 over the 28-135. First there is the fact that the 28-135 is a 3.5-5.6 lens, which makes the IS less useful indoors, as you will be stuck with a slow shutter speed and therefore have motion blur (there I would rather have the 2.8). Plus, the 17-55 is well known to have a better IQ. Of course, you do pay for it, as the 850+ of the 17-55 is quite a bit more than the 250 you might pay for the 28-135

Most reactions

Back