Need a Tripod around $100

what about up to 150?

I think my cheap tripod has produced some blured shots because its on grass or foilage. Its very light and flimsy and i lost one of the setting screws so it that much worse. Id say take the plunge and wait a little for the better.

I have to agree about the wasting your money. I know I did, and am keeping my eye out for a deal. Listen to the advice here. I try to move the tripod head down a little, and whoooops, too far, back up....not even close. I would have been better off hand holding it and bracing myself.

and it's only been 2 weeks since I bought it.

I have to agree about the wasting your money. I know I did, and am keeping my eye out for a deal. Listen to the advice here. I try to move the tripod head down a little, and whoooops, too far, back up....not even close. I would have been better off hand holding it and bracing myself.

what do you have?

First, you'll spend $100 on the tripod that you find in a generic electronics box store (gag me). You'll enjoy it for a few weeks because you've never owned a tripod before, then realize that it's big frustration because it's either too heavy, too flimsy or too finicky. Since you've only had it for a few weeks, you'll tell yourself that you need to "get your money's worth". After you use it for a number of months and you decide you've put up with this crap long enough, you'll break down and spend the money on a proper tripod.

I'm just trying to save you money, here, that's all. I understand the hesitation to spend that sort of money on three sticks with a hinge; I struggled with it, to, but I'm glad I ended up just buying a the proper tripod that I did.

What he said...Ask me how I know...LoL.

what do you have?

I posted on the first page what I had, but it's a Triton Ranger. Not recommended. I had a really cheap one from a long time ago and saw this one, thought it was "quite" the upgrade....I was mistaken.

I guess I'll head to the camera store tomorrow and check out a few....thanks for the input guys

Why not just spend the $20 at walmart and get the vivitar POS and then save for a good one? No need to spend $100 on crap when you can spend $20.

If your still looking for ideas...

I have an Optex OPM 1093G. It holds my Rebel XS with the kit lens nicely and I'd expect it to be fine with your lens. Its nicely built with a good ball head. The middle spire also comes out and can extend to be a monopod.

I bought it earlier this year for AU$125 and Ive been very happy with it. Of course its not a Manfrotto or something of the like, and obviously wont last as long, but its still a good cheaper tripod if you dont want to get too expensive.

Oh and mine came with a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer, so you'd probly be able to get that too provided you buy one in a store.

Hope this helps and good luck buying one.

I've just bought a clone of a manfrotto, it cost me NZ$200 and it's pretty much the exact same (even when I compared it to the manfrotto in the store)

You don't have to go for a 'pro' tripod to get something good, but you may need to spend a bit of cash, or go off-brand

If your still looking for ideas...

I have an Optex OPM 1093G. It holds my Rebel XS with the kit lens nicely and I'd expect it to be fine with your lens. Its nicely built with a good ball head. The middle spire also comes out and can extend to be a monopod.

I bought it earlier this year for AU$125 and Ive been very happy with it. Of course its not a Manfrotto or something of the like, and obviously wont last as long, but its still a good cheaper tripod if you dont want to get too expensive.

Oh and mine came with a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer, so you'd probly be able to get that too provided you buy one in a store.

Hope this helps and good luck buying one.

Thanks for the tip Oliver. If I was just using the kit lens, the crap tripod I have now would be fine...but the 24-70L itself weighs 2lbs and then add the camera + grip......its gonna get a little heavier...

Here is a shot of my set-up for shooting a panorama on a Velbon Sherpa 200. It is, as I said in previous post, in your price range & sturdy to boot.

IMG_4015sm.jpg

the only input i can give is that i highly recommend Velbon. The tripod i use is a Velbon that my dad bought and used in the 70's-80's. it's still very sturdy and doesn't have any problems with it now

btw, Ron, i like your DIY portrait mount. i noticed yours was a velbon too. i thought it was weird that your tripod didn't already have a landscape to portrait tilt system, because the tripod mentioned above has one....hmm

btw, Ron, i like your DIY portrait mount. i noticed yours was a velbon too. i thought it was weird that your tripod didn't already have a landscape to portrait tilt system, because the tripod mentioned above has one....hmm

It does Rusty, but that would put the lens offset from the point of rotation. By using my focusing rails in conjunction with a "L" bracket I keep the object lens very close to the swivel point of the tripod for pano shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back