Need a Tripod for d7100

5kg what??? load weight?

Yes, all up weight. You need proper metal construction - proper aluminium or steel. What I'm trying to say is there's no such thing as a convenient, light *decent* tripod: you need to carry it/haul it over the hills, and then benefit from it (IMO).

Now, come on, lamb-y...hating twist locks seems a bit extreme. I personally just simply utterly despise them, which is a bit kinder to those awful,horrible,icky twist locks, which can not help that they were born as awful,despicable,twist locks...

Ok... fair enough. I only hate twist locks when I have to use them. ;-)

Now, come on, lamb-y...hating twist locks seems a bit extreme. I personally just simply utterly despise them, which is a bit kinder to those awful,horrible,icky twist locks, which can not help that they were born as awful,despicable,twist locks...

Probably as much as I hate flip locks. Especially the ones on my Manfrotto that always seem to slip down. Twist locks are more compact, don't snag, and the good ones work like a Chinese finger trap, getting tighter as pressure is applied, which prevents them from slipping. ;)

Manfrotto is a well respected name for tripods.

Light. Stable. Cheap. You can only get 2 of the 3.
Light and cheap, but not stable.
Stable and cheap, but not light.
Light and stable, but not cheap.

The one you link to has 5 leg sections and is cheap, both of which will negatively effect stability - Light and cheap, but not stable.
But stability was not one of your requirements.

Frankly, it is difficult to buy a truly good tripod for less than $150. And at those prices those are just the tripod legs and the tripod head is bought separately.

A lot of people get a $45 tripod, discover it has issues in a month or so, buy a $100 tripod, discover it has issues in another month or so, and then buy a $450 tripod and head that they can use for the next 30 years. Skip steps 1 and 2 and save yourself $145.

This really sums it up right here. Seriously think about your priorities. If you want to take serious images, you need a tripod that you can rely on.

Probably as much as I hate flip locks. Especially the ones on my Manfrotto that always seem to slip down. Twist locks are more compact, don't snag, and the good ones work like a Chinese finger trap, getting tighter as pressure is applied, which prevents them from slipping. ;)

Thanks - that proves my point. Back to the OP, this is why you should really try one of each if you can.

Most reactions

Back