need a website...help please!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by aprileve, Sep 22, 2008.

1. aprileve

aprileve TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to get a website up and going but I sooooooo don't want to have to use iWeb. What I'd really like is ShowIt sites...but it's still a little out of my price range. So my question is if I buy a template from like monstertemplates or something, are those pretty customizable? Will I be able to work with it pretty easy? And the cost of them...that's per year right? Are they user friendly with Adobe Bridge?
    any other recommendations would be MUCH appreciated!!
    thanks!

2. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those are questions that you should be asking the place you plan on buying from. There are also many many threads here on putting up websites.

3. aprileve

aprileve TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I posted this here because I thought maybe someone might have some experience with this so far. If I ask those sites they are pretty biased and I get machine answers...most people are pretty personable here.

4. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try frontpage to build your own, its MS office, its WYSIWYG, and pretty easy to get the hang of, dreamweaver is better but harder to work out. H

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There are only about 20 HTML tags you need to build a basic website; learn those and hand-code it with a text-editor.

6. twozero

twozero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    depending on how much content you plan to have, rapidweaver is really nice (only for macs though).

7. Jaymz77

Jaymz77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you want to spend ANY money? Oh and please, as a web designer, don't use Frontpage! My hosting company (hostforweb.com, 10$ a month) has a simple interface called Fantastico and provides one click photo gallery web sites.. here is an example, http://www.thephotofox.com/gallery.

8. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I buy a template from like monste rtemplates or something, are those pretty customizable?
    Yes, they are, but you will need to know flash if you want a flash template, or XML if you are using a dynamic Flash site. The Dynamic Flash sites are easy to use, but cost a lot more.

Will I be able to work with it pretty easy? That depends on how good you are with the programs needed to edit them.

And the cost of them...that's per year right? For Template Monster No, you pay once and you can use it for as long as you want.

Are they user friendly with Adobe Bridge? Ummm, not really, bridge has nothing to do with building websites.

any other recommendations would be MUCH appreciated!!
    One last suggestion would be to try and find a reasonable priced web developer. You need to think of them in the same context as photographers, they are professionals and use tools and have knowledge that is specific to their trade. Using the free tools on a host site is the web builder equivalent of a point and shoot camera.

I am not a web designer, nor do I play one on TV. I do have friends that are.

9. DRATOM

DRATOM TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree about frontpage. As a designer what do you think about going with flash?

10. twozero

twozero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i personally love how cool you can make a flash based site....

BUT, for a lot of people, flash will really bog a computer (i know, i know). these are the people that you need to keep in mind. i like a clean site for galleries, and much can be done with simple html and css.

and i agree that it might be worth your time to find someone in your area, you could even check a local college (students always need portfolio pieces).

definitely stay away from frontpage, no matter the urge!