need advice about this site think i found a great deal!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by lonewolfe, Aug 29, 2009.

1. lonewolfe

lonewolfe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok so my dad is going to buy me a dslr for xmas this year and originally he was cool with buying me this one off of ritzcamera at $749
    now the issue i have is i googled nikon d60 and found the next link down im going to list and they have a lot of packages for less than the camera at ritz with a lot more gear some might be slightly higher like one at 814 but they come with so much more. so my questions are.
    can i trust the site?
    should i go with their offer over ritz?
    do you see one or know of another place with a good offer?
    mainly what i am looking for is something that comes with one or two good lenses as i myself have no money for them im only 16 and no job yet. i do some close up photography but then i also do portraits and landscaping. now let me specify on this when i do portraits usually they take place outside never very far distances as the same with my landscaping, its never anything that im going to need practically a telescope to see just a lens for short range and one for average or slightly far.

here is ritz's offer Nikon D60 Digital SLR Two-Lens VR Outfit (18-55 VR & AF-S DX VR 55-200mm F4-5.6G) - 25459-2166-2176 - RitzCamera.com

here's the other site and two of the offers im looking at

Nikon D60 + 4 Lens + 16GB + 20pc Jumbo Accessory Kit

Nikon D60 + 3 Lens + 16GB + 19pc Jumbo Accessory Kit

personally i really like the first offer from second site but everyone please give me your thoughts on this offer and this site. any other suggestions accepted as well.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I went to that web site,and their D40 packages are TERRIBLE deals....simply outrageously over-priced deals. There is no way I would ever pay what they
    are asking for a D40 and a kit lens and a handful of accessories--the prices are hundreds of dollars over market value.

Buy from Ritz, or Adorama, or B&H Photo, or Samy's Camera, or Cameta Camera or KEH.com, but do not allow some nameless,faceless internet outfit sell you a "package" deal with "19 accessories".

A D40 + 18-55 kit lens + 55-200 kit lens and and three or four 2-gig SD cards and a Nikon SB-600 flash is all you'll need to get started, but do not allow some web-based crooks to steal hundreds of dollars worth of your dad's money on a kit that is largely fulled with bogus products sold at inflated prices.

3. lonewolfe

lonewolfe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well for starters i am looking at the d60 i've tried it in stores and compared to others and i like it. the only reason i was considering the site is that ritz wants 749 for the d60 with only one lens but the other site is selling it at only slightly more with two lens. so now im confused it seems cheaper to me

4. potownrob

potownrob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that jumbopackages.com site looks okay (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Jumbo_Packages) but with camera equipment you're usually best off going with a well trusted company like the ones others have mentioned. I'd consider something like adorama's D60 + 55-200 VR combo and then getting the 18-55 VR lens separately (cheaper than getting the D60 + 18-55VR combo then the 55-200 VR separately (and please don't cheap out and get the non-VR 55-200):
    INKD60G1 Nikon D60 Black Gold Special Edition Digital SLR Camera /Lens Kit, with 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) - USA Warranty

2176G Nikon 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX (VR) Vibration Reduction Wide Angle Autofocus Zoom Lens, Gray Market

P.S. I wouldn't go for the bundle deals with memory cards, bags, tripods, filters etc. - they are usually overpriced lowend items - spend your money on better quality accesories (like decent sandisk, lexar or kingston memory cards, a real tripod, real tiffen or hoya filters, for example)

5. robdavis305

robdavis305 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the old saying is true IF ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS, ritz and b&h are great just watch out for most of the adds u see in the back of photo mags

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    None of your links actually go to any Nikon D60 deals.

7. Bad Andy

Bad Andy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, I went to this site, and found the deals referenced above. The 4 lense kit actually only has 2 lenses. The other things they call lenses are actually adapters that fit over your existing lens. These will distort the images, and not give you the quality you are looking for. Also, the lenses are the older non-VR type of lenses. You will want the newer VR lenses. The 3 lens kit, only has one lens and two adapters, again same as above.

I would also question if the warranty provided is a Nikon warranty or some other warranty. Many lesser known on-line stores sell "grey market" equipment. Grey market products are actual Nikon products, but Nikon won't honor their warranty in the US, as these items were intended to be sold outside of the U.S.

Hopefully this information helps you make the correct buying decision.

-Andy

8. lonewolfe

lonewolfe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes thank you guys this has cleared many questions from my head. potownrob thanks for the advice i'll probably mention that to him

9. henryp

henryp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you.