Need Advice: Bent Rewind Knob Shaft ( Canon AE-1 )

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by MadisonWI, Jan 18, 2007.

1. MadisonWI

MadisonWI TPF Noob!

I just bought a really filthy Canon AE-1 cheap on Ebay, and after a good cleaning and light seal/bumper replacement, it looks really really great.

However, the rewind knob shaft is bent ... I think. When the camera back is open, the shaft no longer runs paralell to the side of the camera. Also, the rewind 'knob' top itself (the piece CONTAINING the little flip-out crank) no longer lays flush on top of the camera. So either the shaft is bent, or the area of the camera holding the rewind-shaft/knob mechanism has been damaged and no longer holds it properly. I can't seem to tell yet.

When I put an empty film cartridge in the camera, the fork of the rewind shaft WILL drop into the film canister, but when I turn the rewind knob the film canister moves around a bit because of the 'bent' shaft.

I think the camera will still be fully functional, but I'm worried that the film will be damaged/scratched when I rewind it.

Anybody know if I'll run into problems? Or of any ways to fix this, or similar stories?

OR should I just get rid of the thing (not the best choice.)

THANKS

2. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

I would just run a roll of film through it and see if there are any light leaks as a result of a bent shaft. Also, as a result of the film, you would see if it rewound OK. Some of my cameras are pretty banged up, including one as you described, frankly I don't care, they work and rewind without problems.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I'd be more worried about this, and potential film tension problems, than scratching the film.