Need advice fast. 1D mark II

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Prophet, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Prophet

Prophet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've got a deal worked out on another forum for a 1D Mark II. I would trade my 17-40 L and my 30D + cash for a 1D Mark II.

What are people's thoughts? I'm really hoping for a jump in IQ over the 30D. I understand that they are both the same processor and same MP count. I also understand that the 1D has better features and focus speed and tracking. Also FPS is a non-issue, I understand the differences.

What can I expect in moving from the 30D to the 1D?

-JD-

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Awsome camera... I still shoot with mine with absolutely no reservations nor need to move forward (yet).

I don't believe you will see a jump in IQ from the camera alone. Canon equips their latest and greatest technology in the 1 series cameras and it trickles down to the lower level camera bodies. This is apparent when comparing the 30D and 1d-markII. There is about 2 years difference between the cameras in terms of release date.

Depending on certain situations, IQ is more a factor of the quality lens (but second to the photographers skill) not the camera body itself. In other situations such as high ISO shooting, the camera becomes increasingly more important. In the rat race of technology, newer is almost always better in that respect.

There is a ton of differences between the 1D and 30D but judging from your post, I can't say those features will be a selling point ~for you~. This is especially true if you are going to trade in the 17-40L PLUS 30D PLUS cash. The cash is best used elsewhere. The 17-40L is a wonderful lens and no high end camera will replace its functionality. The 30D is a more capable camera than 90% of the photographers out there.

In the old days, we used to say the lens is more important than the camera.... the camera body itself is just a measly light tight box with a shutter. Although it is less so in today's digital world, it is still true... You are trading in a lens for a camera body in hopes for better IQ. I don't believe that is the right answer.

More importantly, what about the IQ of you photos is not good enough. Often that is the first question that should be asked before considering new equipment.

3. Prophet

Prophet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the great response. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Basically, I'm hoping for better ISO performance. I thought that the 30D and the 1D Mark II were essentially the same "generation" of camera but the 1D would have better all around performance. I mean, why else would anyone buy a pro-body?

I like to think I have good glass and I'm working on my skill. I want to focus on motorsports & sports photography. I also want to dabble in macro and portrait work. The reason for looking at a pro-body obviously for the FPS and I was hoping that the focus speed would help get better photo's.

-JD-

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Better build, better features, better AF performance, more reliability. When people think "professional" equipment often they just focus on IQ. There is many things that go into enabling the photographer to take that special photo. If AF hunts around a lot, how will photographer shoot an indoor press conference with efficiency? If AF is not accurate, how will the sports photographer get good sharp photos of fast moving sport athletes? If it isn't reliable, how will a photographer even deliver the final product?

THere is SOOO much that goes into a professional's work than just pure IQ. This is the reason why Leica rangefinders took photojournalists to the next level..... it proved that compromising the large negative of MF and LF cameras for the more portable 35mm format in a reliable body with quality glass was exactly what they needed to bring home the story... often by actually placing themselves in the middle of where the story was taking place.

If better IQ in your mind is defined by better ISO performance, then you should consider the latest and greatest. Again... the rat-race-of-technology. One option to consider is selling the 30D and a bit of cash (holding on to the 17-40L which is fairly sharp and high IQ) for a good condition Canon 5D. There are boat loads of them on the used market priced between 900-1500 USD because of the newly released 5D Mark II.

5. Prophet

Prophet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, when I say IQ, I'm also including the accuracy of AF. Because lets face it, if you are panning a shot at 3 fp or 8.3 fps, if the accuracy isn't there, you'll never get the shot. So basically, that is what I'm asking... is the accuracy of the 1D better than the 30D?

Btw, I've gotten noise in my 30D at ISO 800 with my high end glass. I was hoping that it was less apparent on the 1D Mark II.

-JD-