Need advice for new Canon Zoom purchase.

roninrtist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some advice if you can spare the time. I have been shooting DSLR for about 2 years with my Canon 20D. Mostly nature stuff, wildlife & macro. I use my photos for graphic design work and really need high quality photos for my work, hence my investment in L lenses. I currently use a Canon EF 70-200 f/4L for my telephoto stuff & EF 180 f3.5L Macro, but need a little more zoom capabilty. I have been researching the EF 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS as the next step up. I was dead set on purchasing this lens. However, I have "heard" and read some articles that this lens is not as sharp wide open. Was wondering if any of you have heard anything about this. The local store reccommended the EF 400 f/5.6L as an alternative since it is a sharper lens, but I would really like the IS and zoom capabilty. My alternative was to maybe upgrade to get the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS with a 1.4 or 2X Teleconverter. Tried the TC on the f/4 I have and was not pleased with the results. Good option or overkill? Was budgeting about $1000-$1700 for this new lens, so if you know of any alternate brands that might flip the bill, please let me now. Thanks for all the help.

The EF 70-200/4 is pretty good and sharp and with a 1/4x TC should provide adequate results. Perhaps you are disappointed because the 70-200 has set your standards pretty high.

The 100-400 is not as sharp wide open as it is stopped down 1 or 2 stops. No zoom lens is, even the 70-200.

From what you say, it looks like you are aiming for a lens in the 400mm range, better than the EF 100-400 and you would like to have IS and and zoom. Not likely to happen (in general) and quite hard with the budget (1000~1700).

I would have a look at the Sigma 120-300/2.8 The image quality is impressive, as is the build quality. It's about $2,000. I would buy one, but have considered that zooms should not be bought for speed and IQ but for utility. It's simpler, cheaper and more effective to get a 2.8 prime instead. And they combine with TCs better.

So, my plan is to get the EF 200/2.8L (quite "cheap") and the EF 300/2.8L (my final tele purchase) and combine them with 1.4x and 2x TCs for long reach. I currently have the Sigma 80-400OS so, the utility aspect is covered.

I believe Tokina makes an 80-400 that is quite nice.

However, for optimum image quality, a prime telephoto is probably best. They're very expensive though. I believe Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina all make long, heavy, expensive, and high quality prime telephotos.

Most reactions

Back