Need Advice for Next Purchase

RTXPIX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have the following equipment and am looking to make my next purchase.

Canon XT Camera
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Most of my photos are of my kids and are action photos on a football field. One of my daughters is a cheerleader, one is on drill team and my son plays football. Some of the games are day games and some are night games and most of the pictures are taken from the lower section of the stands. I have a budget of about $400 -$500 and am not sure if I should buy a flash or a lens or both for my next purchase.

My thoughts are to buy a Canon 430ex flash and a Sigma 75-300 APO or Canon 75-300 lens, but am not sure if there is a better choice.

I would appreciate your advice!

From what you've described, I'd say the bigger glass (assuming it was fast) would be give you the most benefit right now (a flash isn't going to be of much use on a football field) However, a good flash is an integral part of any gadget bag...

If you see your photographic horizons expanding, you should look at a good tripod. There are also a lot of useful peripherals, a battery grip, filters, extra batteries, more memory...

a decent, heavy tripod is very sound idea.

You might toss a monopod in there. The tripod would be nice, of course, but they tend to be bulkier to work with and have all the setup/breakdown issues. Monopods are also pretty damned cheap.

Hmm...monopod and tripod these are interesting stuff...but there are always logistic issues in carrying them with you...

Hmm...monopod and tripod these are interesting stuff...but there are always logistic issues in carrying them with you...

Yeah, but you can use a monopod to beat off the attacking groupies!!! :lol:

Most reactions

Back