Need advice lighting (Is this a good starter setup?)

dezignx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't even consider that eBay kit.

Go with the Calumet system VI mentioned, some Alien Bees or even some D-Lites. Buy something with a brand name and a warranty you can actually use.

This kit, or one very much like it, comes up quite often. It's a case of the sales photos being better than the equipment itself. The lights themselves are quite cheap,and I mean both low cost and cheap. The snoot and barndoors and color filters add more stuff to the setup,and you get a low cost background support system and a muslin.

Personally, I think snoots are almost useless. A better setup would be a couple of Adorama FlashPoint 620 monolights with stands and free shipping for $129 each WITH the stand and umbrella. With the FlashPoint monolights, you get a user-changeable flashtube...on these economy kits, the flashtubes are not user-replaceable, so when they tip over and break, the unit is basically garbage bin material.

You could do some decent portraits of a two year old with one umbrella and a monolight and a backdrop. A single, 150 watt-second monolight is about right for pics of a small child, especially with a camera that has superb ISO 200 performance like the D90. The biggest problem with higher-powered lights is having too much power at portraiture ranges.

Thank you all for the advice. I figured it was a bunch of junk but I wanted to make sure. Its the picture itself that caught my attention.

But, now I am trying to decide between the Calumet kit and AlienBee Kit....

Thank you all for the advice. I figured it was a bunch of junk but I wanted to make sure. Its the picture itself that caught my attention.

But, now I am trying to decide between the Calumet kit and AlienBee Kit....

The Calumet offers a greater upgrade path. The lights use Elinchrom accessories and Elinchrom is a fairly big name in the lighting industry. They're gear is going to be more expensive than the AB's stuff.

It really depends on which direction you want to go.

Most reactions

Back