Need advice - Musician and a concert

LCLimages

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I didn't want to post it in People because there's no actual pictures in it.

So. I have a session with a somewhat local country music artist in 3 weeks. He's looking for new material for FB, promotional stuff, album art, etc. Then he's doing a show in my town in April that I'm shooting as well.

He says he's not photogenic (I call BS because I've seen his pictures and he's adorable) and feels awkward in front of the camera, needs help with what to wear and how to pose. I've done seniors, 90% girls because boys don't think pictures are "cool," and I do a lot of kids and families and maternity, indoors and outdoors. Really I've been blessed so far with a lot of clients who are very eager to be in front of the camera and very comfortable there. This promo shot session will be at least partly at a local pub he's a fan of, because they've recently remodeled it and it looks like a log cabin. And I've shot a concert at the venue where the show will be at in April and it's dark dark dark dark. So I'm forseeing a lot of crappy ambient lighting here.

Anyways, I kind of digress. I'm more nervous about the shoot in a few weeks than I am the concert itself, and I'm not really sure why. I've talked many times with this guy and he's really easygoing. Throw me all the ideas you have - what has worked best for you when giving direction to self conscious clients? Anything to consider that could be specific to this kind of shoot? I know I don't want a bunch of fake smile say cheese shots. I want to work the artistic side, I want them to have the right "feel" if that makes sense. Any live concert tips? When I shot the concert last year, I do remember the color just being all over the place between the stage lights the band had, and the flourescent pool table lighting, and the white Christmas lights around the bar, just a mixed bag of temperatures and colors. I rolled with it and figured that's their style and they liked the end results. But that was a punk-rock band, and this guy is acoustic country. I met him when he played here last fall and he didn't have a huge set up, just him and his guitar and his bassist. I caught the bassist taking a smoke break during their show and chatted him up and gave him my card, thus the initial contact that got this ball rolling. He's played all over the nation, lived in Nashville, been on stage with some really big names, so these shots have the potential to be seen by a huge audience. He's got local connections and roots, that's why he comes this way at all, so I feel really lucky to have this opportunity.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I didn't want to post it in People because there's no actual pictures in it.

So. I have a session with a somewhat local country music artist in 3 weeks. He's looking for new material for FB, promotional stuff, album art, etc. Then he's doing a show in my town in April that I'm shooting as well.

He says he's not photogenic (I call BS because I've seen his pictures and he's adorable) and feels awkward in front of the camera, needs help with what to wear and how to pose. I've done seniors, 90% girls because boys don't think pictures are "cool," and I do a lot of kids and families and maternity, indoors and outdoors. Really I've been blessed so far with a lot of clients who are very eager to be in front of the camera and very comfortable there. This promo shot session will be at least partly at a local pub he's a fan of, because they've recently remodeled it and it looks like a log cabin. And I've shot a concert at the venue where the show will be at in April and it's dark dark dark dark. So I'm forseeing a lot of crappy ambient lighting here.

Anyways, I kind of digress. I'm more nervous about the shoot in a few weeks than I am the concert itself, and I'm not really sure why. I've talked many times with this guy and he's really easygoing. Throw me all the ideas you have - what has worked best for you when giving direction to self conscious clients? Anything to consider that could be specific to this kind of shoot? I know I don't want a bunch of fake smile say cheese shots. I want to work the artistic side, I want them to have the right "feel" if that makes sense. Any live concert tips? When I shot the concert last year, I do remember the color just being all over the place between the stage lights the band had, and the flourescent pool table lighting, and the white Christmas lights around the bar, just a mixed bag of temperatures and colors. I rolled with it and figured that's their style and they liked the end results. But that was a punk-rock band, and this guy is acoustic country. I met him when he played here last fall and he didn't have a huge set up, just him and his guitar and his bassist. I caught the bassist taking a smoke break during their show and chatted him up and gave him my card, thus the initial contact that got this ball rolling. He's played all over the nation, lived in Nashville, been on stage with some really big names, so these shots have the potential to be seen by a huge audience. He's got local connections and roots, that's why he comes this way at all, so I feel really lucky to have this opportunity.

For the non-concert shoot have him bring his guitar and just have him perform like he were at a concert, take some candids during that process. Since he's used to performing already it should help him relax and get more comfortable with the camera and then you can transition into a more controlled, posed type of environment.

Here's how I would approach it: I'd get everything set in the studio for the first set; nice, clean simple lighting, nothing fancy, but something you know you can ace and that will look good. Then, tell him you'll meet him <nearby> for coffee before-hand. Don't discuss the 'shoot, just talk to him about his career, what he's done, where he wants to go, etc (it doesn't matter if you already know the answers, just get him talking, and relaxed). Make sure you've looked at every image you can find of him on line, as well as what's 'in' for country singer poses right now. I assume you've already, or will beforehand discuss what he wants and likes, but it make things easier if you can say, "How about we try something similar to <Country singer>'s picture on the back of <album name>".

Then, head into the studio, ask him to have a seat, tell him, you just need to double-check your lighting (You don't, you know it's spot-on, but again, time to relax). Keep talking to him, ask him about some event, or relate something funny that's happened. After a couple of minutes, start guiding him into a pose, tell him the first few shots don't matter, it's just to check lighting... then, keep talking and as you talk, keep posing him, "So, Billy-Bob, did you hear that thing on the news the other day about <Famous country star> ... turn your head just a little to the left... are they really going to get divorced? Perfect, look down a little..."

As soon as you get a couple of good, clean shots, show him one or two, so that he can see he doesn't look like a dufus. Ideally, get him to bring his wife/girl-friend or whomever along so that she can 'Ooh' and 'Ahh' over the images. Also, don't forget a medium-size reflector so you can get some light up under his hat!

^^ That is great, thank you TiredIron

I did an album cover shoot in Texas a few years ago. The guy I was shooting, like your subject, insisted he was not photogenic. Okay, so he's not the most handsome guy in the world, but he's not ugly.

He, too, wanted some shots in a bar. We were shooting in Austin, so there's not like there was any shortage of bars. We ended up shooting in Coyote Ugly and another bar I don't recall the name of. In each instance, I told him to use his natural gift of gregariousness (is that even a word?) and interact and mingle with other patrons.

I told him that every time I called his name, I wanted him to look at the me. It worked like a charm. I would wait until I saw him laughing, or exhibiting some other emotion that I liked, I yelled his name. Of course, we didn't get more "formal" looking portraits, but got some excellent shots of him nonetheless.

He was very happy with the results, which is all I cared about.

Most reactions

Back