Need advice on 5 lenses

rpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im new to this forum. ive recently been frequented a local based forum but would like to drop in here and with my first foray would like to know your experience or advice on the following that im considering: im into portrait and landscape photography atm.

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

Nikon 85mm 1.8 D

Nikon 35mm f 2.0 D

Nikon 24-85mm f 2.8-4 D

Nikon 18-105mm f 3.5-5.6 AF-S IF-ED VR/Nikon 18-135mm f 3.5-5.6 G AF-S DX [walk-about-lens]

p.s. i already have a 50mm 1.8, is it worth getting a 1.4 in terms of image quality and bokeh (not so much the creamy bokeh but the circular light discs)?

I have 3 of the lenses on your list for my D90.
The 18-105 is a pretty good lens but a bit slow.
The 35 f/2 has been attached to my camera almost constantly. It's an excellent little lens and capable of some very close focus.
The 851.8 is no slouch either. Very sweet lens. Maybe not quite as contrasty as the 35, but can make sharp and well rendered images.

I am about to buy a 24-70 but I'm going for the Nikkor one. it's pricey but besides all of the fantastic info out there on it, I tried it and it's a joy to focus with and is very sharp and contrasty too. It's not macro though like the sigma you're looking at.

The thing is, you have a lot of focal length overlap in that lens lineup.

i know but i also dont intend to get them all if i get some that are on the list lol esp between the last two. im thinking of the shorter length 24-85 cause its capable for FF (if i ever go there). if i did i wouldn't get the Sigma (the macro isnt proper macro but it has the same constant aperture throughout its focal length which is attractive at a nice price point). i believe lenses can be a very long term investment. 5-10 years worth if not more if you get good ones. id consider the Nikon if it wasn't slightly out of my price league (student). maybe in future. but also from what ive read its an amazing lens...part of the highly touted Nikon trinity. a friend of mine has one of them, the wide angle, awesome piece of equipment.

I usually have the Nikon AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D one of my D300's as my walk-around/daily lens.

I also like the 1:2 marco capability it has when used at 35 mm to 85 mm which is another reason it's my walk-around choice.

I have no experience with the other lenses.

im new to this forum. ive recently been frequented a local based forum but would like to drop in here and with my first foray would like to know your experience or advice on the following that im considering: im into portrait and landscape photography atm.

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

Nikon 85mm 1.8 D

Nikon 35mm f 2.0 D

Nikon 24-85mm f 2.8-4 D

Nikon 18-105mm f 3.5-5.6 AF-S IF-ED VR/Nikon 18-135mm f 3.5-5.6 G AF-S DX [walk-about-lens]

p.s. i already have a 50mm 1.8, is it worth getting a 1.4 in terms of image quality and bokeh (not so much the creamy bokeh but the circular light discs)?

The sigma 24-70m f2.8 is a great value... I'd take it over the nikon 24-85mm because of constant f2.8 aperture

Everybody should own an 85mm f1.8; awesome portrait lens.

Most reactions

Back