Need advice on camera selection

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by sealcorp, Sep 27, 2007.

1. sealcorp

sealcorp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a particular need, and I am hoping the experts here can help! I have a semi-old Scanning Electron Microscope, and was looking to upgrade the photographic capabilities by adding a digital camera. What I need is a USB camera (to be able to do captures of the various specimens on a PC), that can focus at a short distance (from about 8 inches down to about 4 inches), and that is capable of producing a high-resolution picture.

Also, because of the size and shape of the opening, a cylindrical camera body would be preferable, but is not mandatory. And we really need it more for captures than for motion video.

Am I asking too much? I have looked around, and determined that I just don't know what I am looking for! What type(s) of camera would you recommend.

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What is the size of the eyepiece?

3. sealcorp

sealcorp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the quick reply!

The opening is approximately 3" in diameter. The setup is a small CRT mounted inside a small enclosure with the 3" hole as the only opening. Originally there was a polaroid camera connected to the hole with a fixture. When you had a specimen exactly the way you wanted, you switched the video to this CRT, and "snapped" the photo. I have tested this with a smaller, low-resolution digital camera, and it took an excellent photo (given its limited resources), I just need it to be a higher-resolution photo, and better focus at close range.