Need advice on camera to start in this new journey...

green_i_grl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I have 3 beautiful kids and would love to "learn" how to take great pictures of them. I have good ideas but know nothing about cameras and need some advice on which camera to start off with. I need a digital one w/ option for different lenses. Pictures will be taken both outside and in- w/ lots of motion, and of course some still shots as well, all kids of different lightings too. Also, may I add I would like to spend as little as possible, since this is my first try at this stuff anyway- I'll upgrade later :wink:

Once I have "mastered" the art of potography I would eventually love to start doing this proffesionally, so some of these picture will become part of my portfolio.

Any advice regarding the camera to buy would be very appreciated.

Thank you all,
Melissa

1. Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Petersen. - 20 bucks

2. D80 camera body - 800 bucks

3. 50MM f/1.8 AF - 80-100 bucks.

Read the book first before you plunk down cash for the camera. I would also suggest The Complete Guide to Light and Lighting for Digital Photography, by Michael Freeman.

Well it sounds like to me that you are looking at a D40, used D50, or D80 from Nikon, or from Canon the XT or XTi, maybe even a used Rebel.

A price range that you are looking would help. But I would think its going to be at least around the $500 range for a dSLR with a lens.

first, how much do you have to spend?

you're gonna want an SLR- those range from $500-$4000 give or take but you can use differnent lenses with an SLR.
google digital SLRs and research what they're all about. go nikon or canon- seems to be what everyone has.
spend as much as you can, you'll thank yourself later!
also, get some books! again, depending on how much you have to spend, here is a great book but its about $80- PHOTOGRAPHY - Eighth Edition

By: Barbara London, John Upton, Jim Stone, Ken Kobre, and Betsey Brill.

start at the beginning. don't assume you can pick up a book like "DSLRs for dummies" and its gonna tell you what you need to know. learn the basics, the history, how a camera works, why they work, how film works, aperture, focal distance, depth of field, etc etc.
i bought the nikon D50 almost 2 years ago and started out with a book about the D50, DSLRs for dummies (lol) and ended up just plain confused!
i enrolled in an online photo certificate progam that gave me the right books and it has taken my photography from "crap" to "pretty darn good" sometimes!
another thing- you can't just buy a DSLR and use it right away... sure you can use the auto modes but if you want those great pics of your kids that i know you're envisioning, you're gonna want to know how to capture what you see with your eyes! and that's pretty tricky most of the time, seeing as how light is a constantly changing thing. very tricky!
Understand Exposure is a great book too but start with the very basics first.
a couple things to remember when buying a digital camera-
the more you spend the better quality you're going to get by far and you're gonna want it. if you don't have the money now, save up! don't buy some point and shoot for $300 like most impatient beginners do :p
more megapixels does not mean better quality! its all about the quality of the sensor, not how many pixels!
if you go with a nikon or canon DSLR you'll be fine.

1. Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Petersen. - 20 bucks.

This is exactly the first thing you should buy.Someone here told me to buy this book and itsmade my life so much easier.I was making things difficult for myself with my camera settings before i read this book, everything is explained so simply for you.

This is exactly the first thing you should buy.Someone here told me to buy this book and itsmade my life so much easier.I was making things difficult for myself with my camera settings before i read this book, everything is explained so simply for you.

there are some things they assume the reader knows though. i was gonna lend it to a friend of mine but she didn't know enough about basic photography.
lol i love mr. green jeans and the sky brothers! very helpful!

The only thing I knew about my D50 when I picked that book up, was how to push the shutter. I would agree that it assumes you at least know how to operate a camera, but it really does baby-step you through ISO and shutter speed, as well as aperture. And the pictures (if I'm remembering it correctly) are fabulous and really do give you some good ideas.

I would suppliment it with this neat little Canon tutorial someone linked to, I'll have to find it.

Well if you go with the D40 or D40x, one thing to know about that is that you have to buy Nikon AF-S lenses because the camera doesn't have a focus motor, so you cant buy the cheaper lenses from tamron, quantaray, sigma...ect. I would go with the D50 or D70.

I have a D50 kit for sale, it includes everything you need to get started, for $475.
Just thought I would offer. :)

I'd start with an entry level camera. Generally speaking, I believe that most/all entry level cameras to be of similar quality, features and will deliver pretty similar Image Quality (IQ). I would stick with either Canon or Nikon as combined they command approximately 80% of all dSLR sales. There are many advantages that come with marketshare ... big market for used/cheaper equipment and availablility equipment just to name a few advantages.

That being said ... I recommend either a Canon XT, Canon XTi or the Nikon D40x. I strongly suggest you get the cheapo "Kit" lens that comes with the camera. Use that lens until it falls apart ... learn the basics of photography with the kit lens. There will be a point when you feel you need another lens, when it is totally painful to use the Kit lens is when you should buy your first lens. That point you'll know exactly what lens you will need to capitalize on your present level of expertise and what you'll need to grow.

The Canons and Nikon listed above are very capable platforms and will deliver an 8x10 image without degradation (as will similar Sony, Olympus, Pentax, et al.)

Some may suggest that you buy a camera based upon what feels good in your hands ... poppycock ... buy the camera which will produce the image you desire with the least amount of work. You will easily adapt to the controls and feel of any modern dSLR. Once the camera is at your eye ... the focus is all on the subject not on how the camera feels. If you're a collector then yeah ... buy what feels good ... if you're a shooter then buy for the image the camera and you can create and capture.

Gary

PS- Remember that with a dSLR you are not just buying a camera ... but rather a camera system. If you have special needs/desires see which camera system can deliver any specialized equipment to make your photography easier (i.e. astrophotography, sports/action, macro, et cetera.) - G

No d40x, if you go Nikon and don't buy that guy's D50 kit, try for the D80 ,if that's too much $$ then go D40. The D40x is a waste of the extra money.

No d40x, if you go Nikon and don't buy that guy's D50 kit, try for the D80 ,if that's too much $$ then go D40. The D40x is a waste of the extra money.

If I had the option of a D50 kit or a D40 - I would easily take the D50 kit.

Why is the D40x a waste of money?
Because if you get one over a standard D40 you are paying a massive $150 increase for a measly 2 megapixels that you probably won't use. The D40X is purely made for the point and shoot people that think megapixels are everything and is quite a scam into making people think it is close to a D80 when the autofocus motor still isn't there and you still get only 3 autofocus points.

Because if you get one over a standard D40 you are paying a massive $150 increase for a measly 2 megapixels that you probably won't use. The D40X is purely made for the point and shoot people that think megapixels are everything and is quite a scam into making people think it is close to a D80 when the autofocus motor still isn't there and you still get only 3 autofocus points.

Actually the D40 is 6.1MP and the D40X is 10.2MP. I agree that going from 6MP to 8MP is not significant ... but going from 6 to 10 there is a visible improvement in Image Quality. As a general rule one needs a 50% increase in MPs for the human eye to see a dif ... also around 8MP one can print an 8x10 without degradation ... both of these are significant in my book. Every time you release the shutter those 4MPs will come into play ... so $150 for a visible improvement on every shot I take ... mmmh ... if it was me I'd take the 4MPs for $150. Remember that the difference between 6MPs and 10MPs won't be visible until about an enlargement of around 8x10+. If you only plan to make 6x4s then the extra 4MPs is just wasted. (The 10MPs will allow better IQ with cropping also.)

Gary

First, WELCOME. I'm glad you found us, and hope you enjoy the TPF. We have a great bunch of talented photographers here as well as shooters from all walks of life, all talent levels and every point on the globe.
Second, your question can get as many different answers as there are members here. Everyone has an opinion. One point not stressed above, the D40X and the D80 have the same sensor. The price difference is due to the better build quality and an enhanced list of features. A correct answer to your question can only be given by you. If your long term goal is to be proficient with the camera and grow to be a good photographer, then by all means go for the best you can afford. I think the D80 is a very capable camera with a good suit of features that will be hard to outgrow. OTOH, if snapshots are as far as you see yourself going, a 4 MP P&S would be better suited to your needs.
Don't be a stranger and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are plenty here willing to help and add our opinions. We have plenty of those.

Most reactions

Back