Need advice on camera to start in this new journey...

Well it sounds like to me that you are looking at a D40, used D50, or D80 from Nikon, or from Canon the XT or XTi, maybe even a used Rebel.

In my opinion, never go used. If you want a camera with interchangeable lenses you'll obviously be dishing out the minimum of $7-800 on one, but don't go used. You don't have to plan to go pro for photography to have use of an amazing camera. But at least if you buy new, you know nothing is wrong with it unless you messed it up. Don't waste going used in my opinion. You know what they say "Fixing a camera is almost always more expensive than buying a brand new one."

I have the Canon Rebel XTi and its simply astounding. Its very user friendly until you start doing serious stuff, its light in weight, its comfortable in your hands, and the pictures are surreal when used correctly. I would hold off on a lense until you learn Depth of Field, apertures etc...plenty of books out there to help you begin.:)

I think the "never buy used" advice is wrong. Not in all situations, but it is an oversimplification of a good idea.

If you know what you are looking for (OP probably doesn't) then buying used is simply economically smart. If you don't know what problems to look for, but you can have a shop check it out first, then it is an easy way to save money.

I came from an F100, but did not have the money to buy a D200 right away. D100 used was my only choice for a sturdy Nikon camera within my price range. I would be happier buying a D50 or D70s off of this board than buying a new D40x anyday.

I think the "never buy used" advice is wrong. Not in all situations, but it is an oversimplification of a good idea.

Agreed. I've never bought a "new" Camera; it's up to the OP to determine whether buying from a third-party is a good idea based on their impression of the person. That also opens up the realm to large third party retailers (online auctions) that have been refurbished, or were factory demos.

:) Thank you all for your replies and advice. I think I am going with the book by Bryan Peterson and the D40 camera to start with, and move up from there (once I've gotten a hold of things :sexywink:).

I'll keep you posted and hopefully share some of my pics for :thumbup: or :thumbdown:.

Melissa

Most reactions

New Topics

Back