Need advice on lenses

Discreetspeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I currently have a Nikon D3000 with a 18-55 and a 55-200. I am looking at getting 2 more lenses for it. I want one of the lenses to be a macro lense, maybe 50mm or 60mm and the other a fisheye, maybe a 10-18 or something. I am buying on a budget so nothing overly expensive, maybe a couple hundred a lens if possible. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I probably would not want to spend more than $350-$400 per lens which I know is going to be hard to find a fisheye in that price range. I am willing to wait on the fisheye and save more for one because the macro takes priority.

This is the Macro lens I want to get for my D40 eventually.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-60mm-2-0-DI-II/dp/B00200K9NQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266456991&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP DI II LD IF 1:1 Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

It has a working distance equivalent to a 90mm macro lens and will auto focus on your D3000.

Check out overread's post in this thread, I found it really helpful.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/191304-lens-do-i-buy.html#post1814125

If you're looking to shoot bugs, 60mm is pretty short for a macro. You need to get pretty close and then the little guy ups and flies away. I have a 100mm macro and, at times, I wish it were longer. One excellent macro that you can often find on the used market is the Tamron 90mm macro.

how much does the Tamron 90mm macro go for? i've been shooting with my dads old 50mm prime a lot and i really like it. maybe i'll get the tamron 90mm macro or a 100mm or 105mm macro and later get a nice 50mm prime.

The tamron macro wont auto focus on your camera (Might not be too big of a deal for macro work)

Id read reviews on the Tamron 60mm it has a nice working distance.

You can find 180° fisheye lenses for about $360 + shipping. Look for either the Bower 8mm f/3.5 or the Vivitar 7mm f/3.5, they are both the same lens made by a company in Asia.

were it me, i'd get the wide angle.
but i like shooting landscapes more than bugs..

oh, just saw it's a fisheye not wide angle.

in that case i'd get the macro lens.

i'd shoot more bugs than fish..

Most reactions

Back