Need advice on Photoshop CS2 v9 or Elements 5.0?

tahmail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've never used any editiing software before so I'm wondering if I should pop for the CS2 version (around $300?) or start with Elements 5.0? I've seen Elements for about $40 but if I end up going to CS2 in6 months I'd consider it wasted $. Any thoughts here? I can't seem to find a good description of what CS2 will do that Elements won't.

In the quote below outlining the differences, I use the bolded features a lot and would justify me going to CS2.

Hoiwever Elements is a very good place to start and is less intimidating for a beginner. The amount of money involved is not much if you decide to upgrade.

Some of the features in Photoshop CS2 that are not included in Photoshop Elements 5 are:
  • CMYK and LAB color modes
  • More tools and features that work with high-bit (16-bit and 32-bit) images
  • Combine multiple exposures to create high dynamic range (HDR) images
  • Channels Palette
  • Recording custom Actions (for batch processing)
  • Adjustments: Color Balance, Match Color
  • Layer Masks, Layer Comps, and Quick Mask mode
  • Smart Objects, Smart Guides
  • Lens Blur Filter
  • Vanishing Point Tool
  • Pen tool and paths palette
  • Some adjustment layers (curves, color balance, selective color, channel mixer)
  • Editing History Log
  • Text on a path, advanced text formatting
  • Advanced Layer Style manipulation
  • Advanced Color Management
  • Advanced Web features and ImageReady (rollovers, slicing)
  • Customizable tool presets, keyboard shortcuts, and menus
  • In the features and tools that are shared, the Photoshop version usually offers more advanced options for fine tuning and control.
Although these features are not natively supported in Photoshop Elements, some of them can be simulated through other tools in Elements (layer masks and quick mask, for example), and some are actually there, but hidden and only accessible through actions created in the full version of Photoshop.
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm

That's an interesting list, Traveler. It puts the whole thing into perspective. I think I could probably do about as well with Elements as I do with CS2 personally. I have used some of the features mentioned but I think I could probably do without all of them and still be a happy photo editor. I'm sure there are other differences but, if these are the salient ones, then I don't view them as critical for the typical digital photographer.

Do without layer masks?! You musdt be joking ;)

CS2 v 9 = same program.

Most reactions

Back