Need Advice on Quiet Lenses for Recording Video

Shades of Blue

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have my daughter's first violin recital coming up in a few weeks, and I have encountered a serious issue that most of you have probably already faced. My lenses are too noisy for video!

I have a Nikon D7100 and three lenses, a 50mm f/1.8, 55-200mm, and of course the 18-55mm. I don't know that the 50mm will be appropriate if we are sitting anywhere but the front row, and the 55-200mm is WAY too noisy. Zooming sounds awful and focusing is even worse and it just overpowers the video.

The easiest thing would be to get another lens pronto that would have enough zoom, yet be quiet. Thinking about the 18-140mm, but don't know if it would be any better? What do you guys recommend?

Also, considered getting a Sony A5000 with the 16-50mm and 55-210mm lenses, but didn't want to drop the coin on a whole new system unless it was miles beyond Nikon DSLRs in video.

DSLR video shooters manually zoom and manually follow focus their camera lenses so there is no noise to record when shooting the video.
To make that easier they add a handle to the focus and zoom rings on their lens:
Sevenoak SK-F03 Camera Follow Focus/Zoom Ring
To shoot quality video consistently with a DSLR basically requires adding a variety of 3rd party accessories. A DSLR by itself isn't a very good video camera.
Neewer Professional DSLR Rig Set Movie Kit Film Making System for All DSLR Cameras

If you don't want to go that route I recommend you look at video cameras (camcorders).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks! So would mirrorless be a good complement to the D7100 for video?

No.
You would have the same problem with lens noise, unless you manually zoom and focus.

BTW - Most zoom lenses work such that if you zoom them all the way out - then focus - as you zoom back in the lens stays in focus for the entire zooming back in range.

Thinking outside the box a bit here, I don't video record with my DSLR, but a suggestion nonetheless. Could you not use an external mic? I mean, I would think if it was far enough away that it won't pick up the lens noise.

External Mic and MANUAL Focus.
FFS...she's playing the violin not running around the stage

Could be one of those new age talent shows where you have to get wild.

How about a wireless mic near her violin? Then you could showcase her playing above the rest. Depends on how good she is, I'd imagine.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Manual focus, and don't zoom.

I use a remote recording device for the audio, sometimes I patch into the audio of the venue when that option is available.
That way the audio is separate from the video track and can be used in editing for switching camera angles when you record with multiple cameras.

You apparently have never seen an eastern European country band play.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back