Need advice on this picture

Carson38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a way I can change the brightness on this picture???

DSC_0111.jpg

this is the best i could do
carson38.jpg

Is there a way I can change the brightness on this picture???
Yes, that is one of the things that can be done using image editing software, though it is better to get it correct in the camera.

Another consideration is what image data format the photo is originally recorded in.

Many new photographers use JPEG because it is usually the default format cameras are in when they are shipped.

Unfortunately, JPEG reduces the original image file size (by almost 80%) by discarding image data and is intended to be a final printing format. So JPEG images have very little headroom available for quality image editing.

looks like he wasn't a very happy camper at the moment eaither... you can change the darkness with most editing software i like to use GIMP because its free and i find it easy to use

reshoot. maybe a little happier expression and a lot better focus.

p!nK

Many new photographers use JPEG because it is usually the default format cameras are in when they are shipped.

Unfortunately, JPEG reduces the original image file size (by almost 80%) by discarding image data and is intended to be a final printing format. So JPEG images have very little headroom available for quality image editing.

So which setting for that do I use?

So which setting for that do I use?
It will be listed in your camera users manual. I'd bet your camera is already set for JPEG, but there are 3 quality levels: Fine, Normal, and Basic. I don't know what camera you have.

Edit: I looked at your profile and see you have a Nikon D5000. Check out page 63 of your users manual, and then I recommend you read the whole thing again a couple of times. The users manual has tons of valuable information you need to know if you want to make really nice portraits of your child.

To have all editing headroom start checking out the Image data format RAW:

Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JPEG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back