Need Advice regarding which MILC to choose

If you're leaning toward Sony, I would also recommend the A6000, for the reasons you first mentioned. There will be many times you'll be glad you have the EVF. And having a standard hot shoe makes things much easier when it comes time to mount a flash.

I own a Sony NEX 7, and the main reason why I bought it over the other NEX models was the EVF. Well, the 24.3mp also had something to do with it, but I knew I would need that EVF. Also, the main reason why I bought a MILC to begin with was so I could use my old legacy glass on a new digital. I have a rather large inventory of old Canon FD and Nikon and Pentax manual focus lenses that actually work very well on the NEX, especially with its focus peaking feature. So if you have some old glass, you might want to include that into your considerations as well.

I switched from Nikon D90 to Fuji Xe2 and I don't regret at all. Fuji has a very performing Xtrans sensor and lenses are just...wow.

Thanks all for your insights :)

As I will be using it as a travel camera ,I do care a lot about Autofocus performance and I want it to be "fast" i.e I don't want a slight shake to give me a blurry image in certain conditions .. Is this dictated by the camera (sensor etc) or is it the lens's aperture that matters most for speed ?

When handling the Sonys and the Fujifilm , the autofocus on the Sonys felt much more responsive .. but at that price point (550 USD with the telephoto) I am debating whether faster autofocus is worth shelling out 100-200 USD more.

Regarding lenses , I am planning to have a telephoto in the addition to the kit lens for now , and maybe a fast 35mm later.
A high shutter speed is required to eliminate hand shake (or IS or a combo of shutter speed and IS). A fast aperture is helpful to attain a fast shutter speed without affecting ISO.

I am really still a novice when it comes to photography , will the shutter speed of 1/4000 suffice on the Fuji X-M1 when combined with the right lens give me the results I expect ? , will the kit lens do ?
I have been shooting for years and I don't think I have ever used 1/4000, my Leica's only go to 1/1000 never been a problem

My XT-1 has max shutter speed of 1/30,000 after the hardware upgrade, so I am just waiting for a bullet to fly by.

As I will be using it as a travel camera ,I do care a lot about Autofocus performance and I want it to be "fast" i.e I don't want a slight shake to give me a blurry image in certain conditions .. Is this dictated by the camera (sensor etc) or is it the lens's aperture that matters most for speed ?

When handling the Sonys and the Fujifilm , the autofocus on the Sonys felt much more responsive .. but at that price point (550 USD with the telephoto) I am debating whether faster autofocus is worth shelling out 100-200 USD more.

Regarding lenses , I am planning to have a telephoto in the addition to the kit lens for now , and maybe a fast 35mm later.
A high shutter speed is required to eliminate hand shake (or IS or a combo of shutter speed and IS). A fast aperture is helpful to attain a fast shutter speed without affecting ISO.

I am really still a novice when it comes to photography , will the shutter speed of 1/4000 suffice on the Fuji X-M1 when combined with the right lens give me the results I expect ? , will the kit lens do ?
I have been shooting for years and I don't think I have ever used 1/4000, my Leica's only go to 1/1000 never been a problem
I agree that you can get by with only 1/1000 ... but if you have 1/2000, 1/4000, 1/8000 ... what the heck ... options can be very useful.

I agree that you can get by with only 1/1000 ... but if you have 1/2000, 1/4000, 1/8000 ... what the heck ... options can be very useful.
I'm not sure what my A7 goes up to must go and have a look

My XT-1 has max shutter speed of 1/30,000 after the hardware upgrade, so I am just waiting for a bullet to fly by.
MILC's don't focus as well as dSLR's so you might want to prefocus with that one.

Well, if it flies at me, I have a chance my camera will trace it. Not that I will know it, which is a pity.

Most reactions

Back