Need advice...tired of EF 17-40mm f/4L

first of all, whats your biggest problem with the lens? optics? the constant f4 aperture? odd range?

i dont think 17-40 is a hard range to learn on... i mean, most kit lenses nowadays for beginners cameras are 18-55 right? the difference between 40mm-55mm is coverable by foot.

the 17-40/4 is better than any 18-55/3.5-5.6 that most people start out with. instead of ditching the 17-40, i'd rather pick up a lens to add to that range. 75-300 maybe? affordable ($250ish canadian at my camera store) lens, gives you a wider range, not the fastest, but its something you can learn on.

but i have to admit, even with all i've said... the 17-40 is probably gonna be a weird lens to learn on... it's such an odd range (like derrel mentioned)... and a really odd lens to build a trifecta off of (well in the nikon world at least... iunno about canon). however it's not... odd enough to warrant switching to a more "normal" ranged lens such as tamron's 17-50/2.8, sigma's 18-50/2.8, or tokina's 16-50/2.8 (i suggest switching to these lenses if you're really having trouble with the 17-40... you get a nice constant 2.8 aperture, plus they're optically decent).

Most reactions

Back