Need advice (tons of it)

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by RiderOnTheStorm, Jul 10, 2007.

1. RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm TPF Noob!

Hello all,

Well I've been thinking lately of taking my hobby to the next level. I just wanted too know whether it is a good idea or not to have a website with an online portfolio. I am currently unemployed so I will not be able to send much in hosting or designs, so I was considering deviant art. From what I have read you are able to sell your photographs and everything but is it a professional move? I mean, does it looks OK if I am intending to go on to the next level in the future?

Also I wanted to know where and what is the correct way to approach a "frame store, art gallery, magazine?"

and lastly do you think I would be able to start doing something at this level with my current equipment? I currently own a nikon d50 with two lenses, a 18mm to 55mm and a 70-210mm. I also have a tripod with a level and extra batteries.

I do realize that I need to get filters and maybe more lenses but I would like to know your honest opinion.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you are asking the answer is most likely probably not....

Your lenses are slow and you don't have enough of them..... Also looks like you only have one body! :(

Can be done but it's a tough business.

3. hawee99

hawee99 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    how can you tell the lenses are slow?

4. RiderOnTheStorm

what do you mean by slow?

5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

"Slow" means the maximum aperture in not as wide (or bright) as other lenses in the same range of focal length.

I've been in business since '83, and I seldom shoot wide open.

But I think that's the least of your worries. There's a lot more work to do before relying on photography for an income.

Pete

6. RiderOnTheStorm

thanks for clearing that up to me. so that would have to do more with my camera I guess.

I'm not intending to rely entirely on photography but some extra chash wouldn't hurt at this moment.

Thanks,
    James

7. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It doesnt hurt to try a little. You can use a site such as freewebs.com and then buy a .com for around $8 a year. Just start out shooting some friends for free and slowly build up references. A little lighting equipment wouldn't hurt either.

8. RiderOnTheStorm

Sounds like a good idea.

What are some good inexpensive essentials?

9. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can find a cheapo sunpak or something ( never used them tho, just my canon 430ex so cant speak on their quality) flash and get sync cords, stands, and umbrellas to get the flash off camera. A reflector which can be a simple foam core board from staples is also good too. Practice is the best and most inexpensive essential tho :)

It will really vary depending on your price range and what inexpensive is to you tho. So some general idea about how much you are looking to spend will help people recommend the best bang for the buck.

Oh and if you take a look at my website (link in sig) it was made with free webs and I use godaddy for my .com

10. mschroeder

mschroeder TPF Noob!

If I was in your shoes. I would first head to some websites and learn a little more about what type of lens will work with the photos you are planning on shooting. Study up aperture and what it can do for you. Just a little bit of advice.

11. nagoshua

nagoshua TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i find reading lots and lots of books to be pretty helpful, you can learn a tonne of information just by picking up a book. Go down to your library and have a quick look

12. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The speed of a lens has nothing to do with the camera. It's all to do with the aperture of the lens itself.

The lens aperture is the size of the opening on the lens. The aperture therefore relates to the focal length and the size of the opening as they are directly related.

Smaller apertures like f3.5-4.5 on standard zooms mean smallish cheaper lenses. Look at the price therefore of the 24-70 f2.8L. The f2.8 large aperture is great as it can be used in pretty low light and still maintain a decent shutter speed. Cheaper lenses will be around 2 stops slower at 70mm (that is 4x less shutter speed)!