Need advice (tons of it)

Also I wanted to know where and what is the correct way to approach a "frame store, art gallery, magazine?"

Here's an example: There's a trendy little restaurant/pub I've been thinking of submitting to for a while, but I wasn't sure how to do it, so I just kept putting it off. Five minutes ago, I called them up, and since I never know what is going to come out of my mouth when I'm nervous, I did this as a test run. If you're not sure what to say, you can do a practice run by calling them in the evening on a weekday, when it's not very busy, but also, when the manager won't be there.

I wasn't sure how to phrase my question until the moment it came out of my mouth (this is why a test run helps). Of course, all they could tell me was the manager's name and what time he'll be in tomorrow. However, now I know what to say. Try this:

"Hello, can I speak to the manager/(name).... Hi, my name is ___ and I'm a local photographer. I noticed you have a lot of art on your walls, and I was wondering how you accept submissions for art or if you solicit the artists personally?"

And then you just wing it based on what they say. The thing about being perceived as professional is that you have to BE professional. It's all you, baby. (And it's not hard.)

I'll let you know how the above script works.

It worked.:mrgreen: Actually, the manager was really happy to talk to me! I thought it was restaurant/gallery, but it turns out that most of the art on their walls has either been bought by or was a gift to the restaurant. Occasionally they hang pieces for sale and they always advertise the artists with a business card on their bulletin board. So this weekend I'll make a fresh batch of business cards and Monday I'll deliver two framed pieces, which will hang in one of the coolest restaurants in my little town! Why? Because I asked nicely.:greenpbl:

The moral is: call and ask. Some places will you tell you submission guidelines over the phone, some will direct you to a website, some will tell you to come in and pick them up, and some will tell you just to bring your work in. The "correct way" is different at different places.

'Kay. I'm done. (Hope my rambling didn't kill your thread..:roll:..:lol:..)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back