need advice

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by JustAMom, Mar 24, 2007.

1. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i am new to this. Im using Nikon D40. A lot of my pictures are coming out too dark or blurry.

this is best of what I got and Im not impressed

be brutally honest. im not here to make friends im here to improve my photographs, so my feelings wont be hurt but pleae be sure to include advice on how to fix my mistakes. remember im new so try to use lamens terms :lol:

[​IMG]

2. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    here is one more for now

[​IMG]

3. outdoorlover

outdoorlover TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On the first one it looks as though you are hand holding and using to slow of a shutter speed.
    The hands are blurred and soft focus.
    Crop it from the top also.

#2 I like, it is cropped a little to tight for my likes but still looks good

4. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thank you, im going to play around with the shutter speeds now. tomoro im going to practice. children can be very hard to photograph...

5. New Hampshire

New Hampshire TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, the more I look at it, the more I think the auto focus must have locked on the box behind the child as that seems to be very sharp. Add to that an unknown DOF/f/stop setting and maybe thats where the blur comes from.

Brian

6. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not really feeling the lighting on the first shot, I am assuming you're using the built-in flash. And perhaps try and get a less distracting background because the Winnie the Pooh playset or whatever that is in #1 is very distracting due to its vivid colors and such. I agree with outdoorlover that #2 is too tightly cropped and because you're using the built-in flash, you get the shadows from the child's hand. Perhaps I'm just being too nitpicky :). Have fun with the D40. Nikon for Life.

7. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks. as you can see by my photographs i have a LOT to learn. i dont really eben know where to start but the advice so far has been a tremedous help.

8. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was in the same situation two months ago, you pick up stuff fast just by shooting on your own. I suggest "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson. I found it very helpful with my composition and just learning how to see things from different angles and stuff.

9. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    New Hampshire is right in seeing that the autofocus decided the toy was its primary subject and not the boy who plays with the bubbles. There is not the least bit of camera shake to be seen there, so the blurriness is a wrong focus.

When you photograph children, try to bring yourself to their level and take photos from there. It reads "amateur photo" all over if you shoot children from above, plus it gives a feeling of absolute superiority and power, which I am sure you don't really want to express in this photo of yours. You wanted to watch him enjoy the bubbles, right?

Therefore - go onto your knees or even flop onto your belly and take the photos from that point of view.

If the light is poor and you want to leave off the on-camera flash and you have to use a wide open aperture (small f-number) but get a lot of background elements that confuse the autofocus, then you must go to manual focus. It requires a bit of practise and possibly a lot of error-shots in your trial and error approach, but it may help not to get the background in focus and the subject blurred.

Photo Critique should always only be about one photo only, which is why I'll leave that generally nice and sharp baby portrait uncommented.

10. JustAMom

JustAMom TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks La Photo that gives me a lot to go on. I look forward to practicing a bit more today