Need c&c on PS edit and crop

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by clay.perry, Nov 26, 2009.

1. clay.perry

clay.perry TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First try at ps editing today. Just a back yard photo of a family member on turkey day. I am still trying to figure out that rule of thirds.

Thanks
    Clay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ::trainwreck::

::trainwreck:: TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the crop though I wish there would have been a little bit more of the model in the picture instead of cutting off her left a bit. The bokeh, however could be a little bit better. The grass in the foreground could be a little less blurry and I think I can see a little bit of blur in the models hair. Down on the right side of her hair, is that line from the pen tool? where you tried to isolate the subject from the background?

3. ::trainwreck::

::trainwreck:: TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very good if it was your first edits with ps though.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You did good with the crop.

The pose sucks, but that's a different issue though it is hosing your composition and making it difficult for you to use the ROT.

The girl's shoulders should be on an angle to the image sensor plane, about 45 degrees. A diffuser camera left could have toned down that harsh side light so you could have gotten an exposure on the side of her face that wasn't so hot. The horizon in the background is tilted and a bit busy. It draws attention away from your model.

::trainwreck:: mentioned bokeh, but I don't think he is using the term in the right way.

It is desireable to have the background out-of-focus in many types of images. That is not bokeh.

Bokeh is the visual quality of a blurred background and is entirely a function of the lens used. Good bokeh is promoted by the number and shape of the aperture blades in the lens.

There are 2 kinds of bokeh. Regular bokeh and Hollywood bokeh.

Regular bokeh is very smooth and creamy whereas Hollywood bokeh is large bright dots, like from heavily blurred lights.

At any rate, I hope that all helps.