need food critiques!

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My old boss needs his whole menu photographed and I have never done food before. He wants it to come off the grill and photograph it where the waiter/waitress's pick it up so the lighting isn't great but I need some help if anyone can give some on what I can do to make these better! He wants them for training purposes but then maybe a couple for the website. so any help would be great!

here are some I took today just trying a trial run.

DSC_0086-1.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0106-1.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

Last edited:
white balance a bit yellow.
distracting shiney reflections

touch brighter
touch whiter
touch more saturation

white balance
focus slightly more forward

white balance
focus more in forground
higher DOF
light more even (not just bright on the sauce)

more even light (not just bright on the dipping sauces again.

overall,
well setup and composed.
nice light style but a touch dark and uneven
focus a bit closer on the forground.
"im hungry though, so the effect is good haha"

thanks that helps!

I think you should make these all more vibrant and colorfull. Looking at these they don't seem too inticing to eat because of the flatness of the images.

ok would that be a thing to do in ps?

here, i tried the ones without big focus issues. used dodge to brighten up dark areas and punch up the highlights. then adjusted the colour of ecah part (lettuce meat cheese pepper tomato plate) individually.

oh man! im sorry, i just realize you have a no edit tag. do you mind if i post them here?

by all means go for it! i dont mind

i like your signature btw!

If you're open to help. I used Lightroom instead of Photoshop, just because Lightroom is more mainstream for photographs than Photoshop.

This is what I came up with. Most of it can be done with Photoshop. As I only really just enhanced the contrast and adjusted the white balance of it. Obviously since you photographed them you probably know the original colors of them better, but this is just my way of helping a little on how to improve them a bit.
food2-0099.jpg

food-1.jpg

that sandwhich looks yummie! I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight see if we can do something with the exposure to brighten it a a bit.

wow that food looks a lot better! and yeah i just got lr on my comp so im going to play with it. and thanks for all the help! this forum is great! thanks much to everyone for helping!

Here's a couple I did as a sample.

In ACR: I increased the exposure, fill light, clarity, vibrance, based White Balance on the plate(not sure if that's right) and added vignetting to place more focus on the food.

In Photoshop: I played with Offset and Gamma Levels. I also sharpened it for the web and saved for web devices.
3773625361_22846836e2_o.jpg

3774432692_49d785cd8a_o.jpg

I don't know if your able to do post processing in right now however my comments about your pictures is that if your going straight out of camera is that your images are a little underexposed and flat. I'm not sure what camera you used for these but my camera has presets for sharpness and some color management. You might want to play around with these and see what you get. Good luck with the menu!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back