need help achieving these looks

When you signed up, you agreed not to post photos you don't have right to.

As for 'the look', it's all about proper exposure and white balance.

no where in the terms and conditions does it say that I cannot post photos of others. I have left her watermarks intact and the first photo is off of her website.
"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, ..........."

Posting others work IS considered copyright infringement, in case you were wondering.

You may post links to others work, but you can't embbed the images into your posts nor upload them to the forum gallery - unless you own the copyright/distribution rights to the photos.

We don't punish for it unless you're clearly trying to pass someone else's work off as your own, so in the context of this thread (for example) you'd not earn any punishment.

Yeah, at this forum you need to just put links to photos by others if you want to use them for examples or to ask questions about them.

I saw them before they were removed, and it looked to me like there was a bit of photo filtering involved for the sky coloring. There are about a million ways to do that in any editing software you can think of, so there's no way to know which software or method she uses for it.

You could just email and ask her. You'd be surprised how many photographers are forthcoming about that sort of thing, rather than acting like it's their own secret sauce.

So let's try this again! I sincerely apologize for doing just that! This is my first time ever posting and I definitely don't mean any harm. I will post some links :) I am trying to figure out how this photographer achieves the soft pink tones and still keeps the subjects skin color perfectly intact. As you can see, the light source is very strong in the background, and it looks like it has been diffused somehow. The colors are very soft. Maybe editing?? I would love to know how this is done! Thanks! And once again, sorry! It's all a learning process!
Santa Baby - Shannon J. Dodge Photography | Facebook

And babies make 5... - Shannon J. Dodge Photography | Facebook

Well, O.K., they're cute, for sure. I don't know what editing software you use, and I think most here use Photoshop, although I don't have it myself.

So here's my best guess:

Somewhat de-saturate the colors and bump up the red/magenta just a bit for the pinkish sky.

Personally, I'm not a fan, but I can see where the parents of the youngsters would like them.

I'm going to guess this was a Photoshop or Lightroom action; easily duplicated by upping the yellow slightly, and desaturating slightly overall, along with an exposure intended to slightly over-expose the sky.

Here is a software application I have been using lately. Pixlr-o-Matic. It has a couple of lovely diffusion overlays I have found--and I have tried only perhaps 10% of the options it has to choose from to add to your "strips" (rows of effects, in three categories). The Antonio diffusion overlay is a nice diffusion...ethereal, yet also preserving a high degree of sharpness. There are also hue overlays.

Pixlr-o-Matic can be run directly from the company's web page, OR it can be downloaded directly to your Mac or PC and run off the local hard drive, or by Android or iOS devices.

Photo effects, vintage, retro, online and free - Pixlr-o-matic

great advice, everyone! I am going to try and experiment with all of the options :) I really appreciate all of the help

Most reactions

Back