Need Help / Advice! Beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gokusays, Jun 3, 2008.

1. gokusays

gokusays TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I am new to TPF. I am looking for some advice on how to take quality / professional-looking pictures for my website.

In particular:

I want clean looking pictures that are typical of those found in product catalogs, i.e. pictures with clean backgrounds.

Does anyone know how to take quality professional looking pictures for websites? What suggestions do you have?

I'm using a digital camera with 3.5 Meg Pixels. Indoor room lighting. And Photoshop to remove backgrounds. But outcome is sloppy and the process is very tedious. Is it supposed to be like this???

Thanks!

2. MarcusM

MarcusM TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can also do two plane lighting like this in your living room (this was shot in a dining room):

[​IMG]

You need more then just one light for it though.

4. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

(Bold face and italicizing mine)

If you want professional looking photos you will need to either spend a lot of bucks, time, effort, and elbow grease on this project, or you will need to commission a real professional...
    As usual, it's a trade-off.

Get an up-to-date camera.

Get more light.
    If you're using a light tent, 2 equally powerful desk lamps is already enough.

No. Get the exposure right in the first place and you will 1) have a lot less to do in PP, and 2) you will get much better images.

Have fun!

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Go to your local library and get some books on product photoraphy, lighting, and exposure. The scope of the question you have asked is much to great to be fully (or even partly answered here).

6. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you need to read up on lighting and/or flash (and multiple flash units). If you are making small photos for internet use, your 3.5 MP camera will work fine in my opinion.

And if you are taking photos of small items, a light box works great. You can buy them cheap to expensive or like another poster said...make one. I made one myself for photographing marbles and it works fine.

Derrick

7. John David

John David TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing that I think will help is to pick up a Chroma Key background. F.J. Westcott sells a nice simple setup that will help you to drop the background out of the image.

I agree a proper exposure is important but I have seen great images from a 3 MP camera, specifically if you are only going to 72 DPI for the Web.