Need help and advice - Toronto skyline

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Haven't really had a chance to do any landscape photos but shot off a few yesterday. There was quite a bit of haze. I did a little de-hazing but of course it brought the sharpness down quite a bit. Since I don't have any experience post editing landscape I was hoping to get advice on what I could do to make these two photos any better. Should I de-saturate blue?

Do you do the sharpening before or after de-hazing? I did it after.

P2180226 by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

P2180231 by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

Did you save the original as an ORF file or camera JPEG?

Since you used the term "dehaze" I assume you're using Lightroom.

You're starting off with a pretty substantial color balance error and that's cascading into further problems. If you can make the original available I may be able to help with the processing.

skyline.jpg

Joe

You can get the RAW file here:

P2180231.dng

Please let me know what you adjusted when your done. I am learning LR pretty fast but still have a long way to go. I'm doing pretty good with my wildlife photos but having trouble with landscape. I am still learning to look at a photo and see what can be done.

Thanks.

P2180231.dng

Please let me know what you adjusted when your done. I am learning LR pretty fast but still have a long way to go. I'm doing pretty good with my wildlife photos but having trouble with landscape. I am still learning to look at a photo and see what can be done.

Thanks.

Dropbox - version1.dng

Here's your DNG back and it should contain all the processing I did to get this:

skyline.jpg

I'm not happy with that yet, but I've got to run and cook dinner now. I'll get back to you again later after I've taken a harder look at this -- bit tricky.

To answer your sharpening question. The default input sharpening in LR is generally fine. Only sharpen output files beyond that and only when you know how the output file will be used. I applied light sharpening to the JPEG pasted above.

Joe

Only sharpen output files beyond that and only when you know how the output file will be used.
Joe
Because digital files destined for printing can be sharpened more than files for electronic display.

Last edited:
This is my lazy ass attempt using LR ... firs +50 dehaze (didn't even know I had that) then hit auto white balance.
FYI: you have spots on your sensor.

brentc.jpg

P2180231.dng

Thanks.

Dropbox - version1.dng

Here's your DNG back and it should contain all the processing I did to get this:

View attachment 135441

I'm not happy with that yet, but I've got to run and cook dinner now. I'll get back to you again later after I've taken a harder look at this -- bit tricky.

To answer your sharpening question. The default input sharpening in LR is generally fine. Only sharpen output files beyond that and only when you know how the output file will be used. I applied light sharpening to the JPEG pasted above.

Joe

Thanks. I'll take a look later tonight.

This is my lazy ass attempt using LR ... firs +50 dehaze (didn't even know I had that) then hit auto white balance.

View attachment 135444

Thanks. I'll have a better look when I get home. Spot is actually on the lens. That lens hasn't been used since I did water drop photography, probably got splashed.

View attachment 135444

Thanks. I'll have a better look when I get home. Spot is actually on the lens. That lens hasn't been used since I did water drop photography, probably got splashed.

OK -- had a 2nd look at it without being rushed. I think this is much better:

skyline.jpg

Here's the DNG including the processing.

Dropbox - version2.dng

NOTE: I used both the gradient and the adjustment brush so you'll want to check for those. Ignore my first attempt.

Joe

Hmm, the spots look too defined to be on the lens ... probably tiny specs on the sensor.

Hmm, the spots look too defined to be on the lens ... probably tiny specs on the sensor.

I checked all my photos from that day. This lens I only used for these shots. Photos I have taken before and after with different lenses have no spots.

Is there a sure way to find out? I have been extremely careful and can't see how anything would get on the sensor.

I just take shot without the lens.

You are right. Just found one photo that I used my 17mm and I can see the spots.

I have never cleaned a sensor before. Should I bring it in to get someone to do it or is this something that is fairly routine? I really don't want to mess it up.

So I tested against a white background and smallest aperture. And there are several spots. I tried a blower but no luck. I have no idea how it got this dirty.

P2190045 by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back